*HELP* Video (.mp4) won't upload!

classymatters
Tourist
3 0 11

Hi guys,

So I'm trying to upload a video by going to Settings > Files > Upload Files

And I pick the file "videoplayback.mp4" -- the file size is 850 KB so it fits the size requirement, but when I go to upload it, I get the following message: "videoplayback.mp4" The file type is not supported.

I don't want to embed the video, I'm trying to put it on a loop so I need to upload it this way, as far as I understand it.

I've tried uploading from different browsers, nothing has worked...please help!

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10253 142 1940

I tested a few larger files I had here and didn't run into issue.
What happens when you try a different file - like one from here: https://sample-videos.com/

I also tested the first file from that link above without issue. If that works that might suggest something is a little funky with your file.

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.

Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.

★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
0 Likes
classymatters
Tourist
3 0 11

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. 

So I tested the first MP4 sample video, the rabbit one and the issue continued.

It also says that it's not supported.

Any other suggestions?

I have absolutely no idea why it's not working... :( 

0 Likes
classymatters
Tourist
3 0 11

Uh never mind..so I figured it out

For anyone else having the same problem, here's the fix:

If you're still on trial and haven't picked a plan yet, it won't let you upload any videos.

So basically, pick a plan with Shopify and start uploading

realShughart
Tourist
6 0 6

guess that's "costumer service"

0 Likes
BTO2
Excursionist
16 0 3

That's helpful!

0 Likes
RHolloway
1 0 0

Hi Jason!

Hoping you can help me with mp4 upload issues too!

I've tried everything - wondering if it could be because my image setting is set to 'Natural' and not a specific size? (ie 4:3 or 2:3 etc)

My images and mp4s are 3:4 but the theme I am using, Archetype's Motion: Classic theme doesn't have the option of 3:4, so I opted for 'Natural' in the settings. I've tried adding an mp4 from Files then on product page, 'Add media from URL'  then 'Add Image' and pasting the url. I get a message that says:

Media upload failed

Some of your media failed to upload, please retry again.
  • Image: Media could not be processed because the image is an unsupported file type.

I also tried adding mp4 in the actual product page, but most I cannot. One uploaded via my mobile / shopify app, but then it wasn't visible on the front end.

I've also reset Chrome. sorted Extensions, deactivated Adblocker, checked firewall - all of that stuff, + tried using Incognito.

Nothing is helping yet!

any advice would be hugely appreciated!

thanks, Ruthie 

0 Likes