[HELP] Visitors not tracked by Shopify system !

Bilel09
Tourist
3 0 7

Hi,

I am having an issue since a week now with the Shopify visitor counter : All the visitors are suddenly not counted anymore on the dashboard (neither on live).
We have been from 800 visitors/day to sudenly less than 20 visitors/day on the Shopify dashboard.

We firstly focused on our traffic source and marketing side, however after a lot of tests and with a 3rd party vistor counter, the result is that there is a bug on the Shopify visitor counter which doesn't count anymore !!

Please does someone has already encountered this ?

Replies 51 (51)

HeatherPowell
Excursionist
16 0 5

Hi! 

I just started experiencing this yesterday!

About 4pm yesterday my traffic plummeted unexpectedly. I had 600 sessions on Sunday for example, and 289 yesterday, 283 acheived before 4pm.

I woke this morning, would usually expect 50-80 sessions- just 2.

Google Analytics is showing the same- just 2 sessions.

My Google Ads account and FB Ads account are showing about 40 clicks between them - there is no issue acessing my site via these ads.

After having a play about, it seems Shopify and GA are only registering Direct traffic or traffic once the session 'adds to cart'. I know the traffic is coming in as I'm on 25% conversion today vs a usual 2% and my sales have not dropped. 

I've spoken to Shopify help who say there isn't an issue- but it's reall frustrating! 

Bilel09
Tourist
3 0 7

Hi @HeatherPowell,

Yes they replied the same thing to me !
They told me that there is no problem on their end. However, I installed an app which counts the number of visitors (Lit Live View) and the data is completely different ! The app is still tracking with no problem the number of sessions, add to cart and also it records on the sessions of the user.
So now, it is 100% true to say that the Shopify dashboard can only counts the number of sessions with an "add to cart" but not the other ones.

Actually it is more than fustrating, because this is a MAJOR issue because all these sessions collected by Shopify can't be tracked by our Facebook/Google Pixel and this leads to a lack of performances.
If you use Facebook marketing, I invite you to go check your events manager.

Plumd
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi 

I have the exact same issue.  How did you resolve this?

Thanks

Debbie

BurtonLiao
Tourist
9 1 2

Since Yesterday I got this problem too!

My Google Ads account are showing 103 clicks,but Shopify and Google Analytics showing low traffic,only 15 (shopify) and 2 (google analytics) Visitors.

Jeffrey0548
Tourist
6 0 2

We have the same problem!!!!

Since 2 days we see a 90% traffic drop. Shopify doesn't show sessions before the /cart page. It puts all sales under 'direct' and it says there are 0 sessions from social source, while we are running FB ads with 1k spend a day. There is definitely a big problem going on. Our CR yesterday was 20% vs 3% normally. 

We tried to explain the problem to the support chat, but they start talking about how they can help increasing traffic lol. Like i'm stupid.. I definitely know when there is something going on. And luckily I found out that I'm not the only one with the same problem!!

SHOPIFY, fix this ASAP!!!

BurtonLiao
Tourist
9 1 2

Today i got one visitor only.

Also i use suppout chat to told Shopify Support Advisor, so he just told me what different is google analytics and shopify , how my ads conversions.

He didnt fix this problem.😂

Jeffrey0548
Tourist
6 0 2

They are saying to us that the 'trekkie' code is missing and we should reach out to the theme maker (debutify). 

BurtonLiao
Tourist
9 1 2

Visitors Not Tracked: https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/Bug-with-Live-View-not-showing-visitors-on-the-new-wor...

Weird Visitors Problem: https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/Problem-with-visitors/m-p/496478

Before this problem(Start in april 13) , I saw April 12 have 51 weird visitors from US, so next day i got Visitors Not Tracked problem.

Bilel09
Tourist
3 0 7

Problem is fixed !!

Actually sometimes when the theme is switched to another, the code suddenly change for some reason and it leads to a lack of tracking events such as visitors.

Here is the solution from Shopify : 

"As a note, please let the developer know that the content_for_header part of the theme code had been modified. More specifically, "our monorail and trekkie events on page loads." As this is something we do not support editing, you would need to reach out to your developer and have them roll back the changes that were made. Alternatively, you would need to use an unedited theme."

Hope this can helps !

Jeffrey0548
Tourist
6 0 2

Yes we also added that line of code. Its solved now. But we still have the question why the code is suddenly deleted 2 days ago. While our file is not been edited the last days. But hopefully it won't happen again. 

BurtonLiao
Tourist
9 1 2

So what can I do? Need To edit code?

HeatherPowell
Excursionist
16 0 5

I'm using a free Shopify theme - Minimal.

Will Shopify support with this or does anyone have the code/instructions?

BurtonLiao
Tourist
9 1 2

theme.liquid

{%- comment -%}{{ content_for_header }}{%- endcomment -%}
{{ content_for_header | replace: '12345', '' }}

Green2
Tourist
5 0 1

How would I enter this into my site? Also, do I put numbers into the "12345" area?

Mytulus
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi, is there a more accurate answer.... I'm having the same issue 

Very little % of stats is being measured by Shopify in my dashboard... while GA and FB are giving a much bigger number

BurtonLiao
Tourist
9 1 2

Maybe you can try to edit code in theme.liquid

EcoGifts
Tourist
5 1 0

Bilel, you need to explain more on this. 

What kind of code is now missing, what does need to be added?

Experiencing this same problem for almost a week now...

JosiahD
Visitor
1 0 0

Same here!!!

Green2
Tourist
5 0 1

Our team got this sorted out with Shopify last week. We had just published a sizable theme update and it sounds like any "large amount of coding" can possibly mess with the {{ content_for_header }} attribute, whether it edits it or not. Fortunately our sessions came back to normal after a few days, and we had installed the Lit Live View free app to tracks sessions to confirm any changes in trend.

We're not sure what exactly caused it to fix itself (as we hadn't made many changes ourselves after the fact), if it really did just take time, or if Shopify did something behind the scenes without saying anything. The problem seemed to be "fixed" after I installed the mentioned app - right after I finished talking to support.

Shopify did tell me that this is a currently known bug that they're working with. If you're struggling with this (and have a third party developer), I'd recommend reaching out to your theme developer about a possible "bug" in the {{ content_for_header }} code. Ask them to check that "trekkie.storefront" is operating normally, as Shopify is reporting it as a possible bug. If you have to reach out to Shopify, link them to this thread as well, that seemed to help us.

I hope this helps!

dweems001
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey I am having the same issue. How did you get it resolved?

rese43
Visitor
1 0 0

I also tried to track the users by the system but faced the same result that you mentioned in the post details but you can see here a new tool for tracking now I am using this feature

ogeid
Shopify Partner
68 0 22

We have the same "trekkie.storefront" issue and commenting out and replacing the string of {{ content_for_header }} is not working. 

Even if we install a clean theme, that trekkie code is still there.

Anyone find a solution to this issue?

D.E.W. L.A. - Web Design
https://dew.la
Gexno
Visitor
1 0 0

Have you found a solution for this problem, if you did are you able to assist me with it please, because I am struggling with the same issue now

kilvar
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm having the same issue, I tried to edit the code but still no luck. You can check here. Can you please suggest the solution? My work is held up.

tyreal88
Tourist
4 0 1

I have the same issue, I suspect this happened after shopify suggested to migrate to GA4 using the Google channel app, which itself had issues couple days ago, anyone has a solution to this ? im not seeing the comment_for_header code either.....

tyreal88
Tourist
4 0 1

For more context, migrated to GA4 per shopifys email couple days ago, app didnt work, was told to wait it out, and finally able to conect google account + GA4 property within the app.

Then all of a sudden yesterday, traffic tracked by shopify pretty much dropped to zero, but on facebook, i'm still seeing clicks, so the ads are running as usual.

Old GA is consistent with Shopify in that it is not showing traffic either, tried to goto my store using another device, and it's not being tracked real time either on Shopify or Google, until I clicked add to cart, then Shopify and old GA's is showing real time tracking as usual...

Would really appreciate some help

erwin1984
Tourist
6 0 1

Hello,

we also have this problem, from yesterday 9:00 a.m. CET traffic dropped. Also the conversions are less than the orders we had yesterday.

Green2
Tourist
5 0 1

Considering how old this thread is and how many issues are going on, I'd recommend starting another thread to better describe your problem and get Shopify's attention.

LeithB
Tourist
4 0 2

I am having the exact same issue. Shopify is not reporting traffic (apart from add to cart and checkout). If I browse the site, on my phone, or other computer, no traffic is shown in Shopify. 

As of yet, I'm completely stumped by what's going on. 

Does anyone know if Shopify has acknowledged this as an issue?

tyreal88
Tourist
4 0 1

can you guys recall what changes you or any third parties have done recently ? I'm trying to work out what the trigger of the issue might be.

Yousef64
Shopify Partner
11 0 3

Still got the same issue 

hespa
Excursionist
10 1 3

same here started 2 days ago, I modified all my ads thinking its a problem with the link there, and spoke 2 a service person on Shopify who told me to check my domain provider ..... wasn't that either...... so yeah very strange what is happening hope they are coming with a solution soon, 

can I use something else as analytics, is it reliable? also are the ads affected by this?

hespa
Excursionist
10 1 3

got a second phone call from Shopify, after having a hard time making the operator (second one) understand the issue...  and a long wait (for checking stuff ... ), told me a tech team is dealing with this situation and that they are aware of it, I am going to get a reply/explanation after they'll fix it .... 

Yousef64
Shopify Partner
11 0 3
Really wish I had an answer for you. Google analytics isn’t reporting
accurate data either. Shopify support completely useless. Im not sure if my
ads are affected but I feel like they might be.
alban789
Visitor
2 0 1

exactly same problem here !

sean75
Visitor
1 0 0

Same here. This problem started after I migrated to GA4 after listening to shopify. You can check here. Now there are multiple problems currently I'm facing. I request someone to please provide a solution. 

Hysean1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, same problem here. how did you fixed it ? Thank you.

Anta032
Tourist
4 0 2

Same here.started 2 days ago! What can we do? Support was not at all helpful! 

Yaroslav11
Tourist
4 0 3

Same problem here! An obvious drop since the 14-15th of March (Google Search Console and other analytics show more clicks than Shopify internal stats).

Contacted support and had a very hard time explaining the problem, but they assured me that the issue was forwarded to the main tech team.

It feels like this issue can be connected to another one that appeared a few days prior - countless URLs with /wpm@ slug added to the google index. As WPM stands for Web Pixels Manager, there's a chance that they messed something up with analytics while trying to fix it.

Anta032
Tourist
4 0 2

Did they tell you if this affects sales? 

Yaroslav11
Tourist
4 0 3

They were very unhelpful and incompetent 😞 Gave me some basic answers about natural discrepancies that could occur in different analytics tools, and that's about it. I emphasized the importance of this issue and asked them to forward the chat log to the team who's actually in charge of such things.  

Two very huge issues in one week and zero communication from them, it's really disappointing 

ThreadCat
Visitor
2 0 4

Having the exact same issue here since the 17th! 

erwin1984
Tourist
6 0 1

Here it works again for 2 days, without any changes from our side 😏

ThreadCat
Visitor
2 0 4

All resolved now, I got confirmation on my support ticket that there were actually issues on their end 🙄 Glad its sorted though!

ModernPlusLTD
Visitor
2 0 0

What did you do please he same issue here ????????

hespa
Excursionist
10 1 3

Problem is on Shopify’s side get in touch with them. Be insistent !

LeithB
Tourist
4 0 2
I have been in contact with them for 3 weeks and they haven’t given me any information apart from that it’s shopifys problem and they are fixing it. Did they fix yours?
hespa
Excursionist
10 1 3

hi LeithB

Yes we were a few people in the same situation about 2 weeks ago, it was fixed by Shopify in about 2-3 days. Sales should not be affected, it wasn’t in my case.

dweems001
Visitor
2 0 0

Did you get it resolved?