HELP - how to set up lead time

2 0 0

Hi Everyone!, I am new to Shopify but have been selling on Etsy for many years. I am working on my Shopify store but I am finding it hard to be able to add a lead time to my products. I create made to order pieces and keep almost nothing in stock (customers get to design from variable options).

Any advice on how to go about this?  I take between 2-6 weeks to create each piece.  On Etsy you have the option to select lead times, which lets a customer have an idea of when the item should ship by.  How can I do the same on Shopify?

Thanks for your wisdom! 

M

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
348 30 59

Hi, there!

My name is Ren from the Shopify support team, thanks for reaching out with your question. You have several options when it comes to setting production time expectations for your customers and I do suggest utilizing them all.

1. Start by detailing your process time and setting delivery expectations on your Shipping page. This is often the first place people check when they're wondering about their order status. 

2. Next, add relevant processing time details into your order confirmation notification. Learn how to edit that here. 

3. Create changes in your theme's language/wording to reflect the extra processing days. Here's how to make those changes. You'll need to use the search field to find all the places in your checkout that use "shipping" language and edit those lines by adding your processing times.

4. Try an app like Custom Order Status to update your customers with email notifications through each step. You can update to let them know when their order is in production, when it's being prepped to ship and when it's on it's way out. These options are highly customizable as well and particularly useful if you want to offer (upsell) rush orders.

Having your processing time expectations in all of these places can help make sure that your customers are aware of the wait times for their order. It's helpful to be able to defer to these notifications as well. Let me know what you think of those options and if I can help clarify any of that for you. 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 1 0

I'm having the same dilemma and unfortunately those options aren't going to work, especially when adding other apps like to show shipping prices on the cart page.  Most of those will take shopify shipping profiles such as  1st class 3-5 days (or whatever)  and calculate a delivery date.  We can type that packages travel time is after production time of x#days for individual product  till we're blue in the face, the customer is going to look at that date that is given by the shipping calculation and run with it.   I foresee a lot of complaints,  refund demands etc etc.   There are so many custom gift makers these days, we really need something to help us in this respect.   and not all products will have the same lead time.  Some items may take 2 days to create and others 2 weeks.
We need a lead time and then we need shipping calculations on the view cart (add to cart or first shopping cart page)    Isn't there any way to get these things hard coded into shopify?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
348 30 59

Hi @TAGSAngel

Thanks for your feedback! As a maker of custom products myself, I completely understand where you are coming from.

Another app recently came to my attention called Product Warnings on Checkout which looks like another effective method of delivering lead time notifications to customers. You can designate different messages for each product and a notification will pop-up immediately once a product is added to cart, meaning a customer would have to read it and click "okay" before proceeding to checkout. This is a great place to add lead time expectations specific to certain products as I understand those times will differ.

If you're interested in having hard coded, it may be possible and worth reaching out on our Shopify Expert marketplace to a developer that might be able to custom code something for you. 

Let me know what you think of those options! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 1 0

Hi Ren,  thanks so much for the reply.  I'll give it some thought, but at first glance, the less you have to make the customer click, accept, jump through hoops the better off you are.    But again, if it ends up being necessary, I will consider it.  Thank you again

0 Likes