Has cache=false stopped working?

Shopify Partner
2 0 0

We had implemented some JSON view pages for a client that relied on the ?cache=false URL parameter. Recently however it seems this has stopped working on the live theme. It does appear to still work when previewing a theme. 

Has anyone else experienced this or have any insight?

0 Likes
1 0 0

Got the same issue. Any news about this problem?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I had reached out to support last week but they were not very helpful. It seemed the person I was dealing with was not even aware of the feature. At this point I am still without a solution. Was hoping Jason (freakdesign) would have chimed in as he seems to be the one of the only places on the internet referencing it.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I have this problem as well. I've logged a job with Shopify Support but no response yet.

I'm using it to pass a query parameter to the page and that determines what featured collection gets displayed

Anyone have a solution or know what is going on

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9778 86 1526

cache=false was never an officially documented property so using it was a bit of a hack. I've used it before in some old builds, and I've got a bunch of blog posts on the topic. However, being undocumented I also knew the lifetime was limited, and it could be removed at any point. Opting to not return cache has performance concerns for everyone.

I'd be suggesting that devs look into alternate approaches that use JavaScript instead, or leverage other aspects of Shopify like search results, filtered collections, alternate templates, etc that can return the data set you need. 

If you're using a querystring to determine what collection to show (since that's the most recent post in this thread) that sounds like something you could achieve with JS.

If you have absolute must have use cases I'd be interested to know what they are.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
11 0 3

Interestingly, Using JS (AJAX) to do the requests will have to rely on cache:false in the XHR call to achieve the same result.

Kind of defeat the purpose of killing the cache=false. Sad move!

0 Likes
11 0 0

Experiencing the same issue. :( If you open the request in new window/tab then it will provide you fresh content whereas in ajax request cached content is loaded. Any work around for this one? We have lots of things which are dependent on this one in our store. 

Shopify should provide alternate method for this one. :)

Chintan Kotadia | Shopify Expert & Partner | Skype: kotadiachintan

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
248 9 51

I put a fake parameter on the end of the url based on the milliseconds of the current time of the request, which shopify ignores, but which causes it to not be cachable. e.g. &cache=20394823 - different value every time.

1 Like
1 0 1

Paul_West I've tried that approach with no success. Any other possible option to solve this issue?

I have a special page (not a product one) that will load a different product depending on the query string. I can't think of another way of solving this problem.

Thanks!

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 1

I have a case where I am using this :

https://business.czarto.com/2016/11/22/shopify-diy-facebook-product-feed/

to create a facebook xml feed.

When Facebook scrapes the output it never gets the latest version and caches it's first response. I presume this is the Shopify cache working in the network between Facebook and Shopify (Cloudflare?).

So..

How to best signal that this page shouldn't be cached? I'm currently testing using cache=false

1 Like