Help! URL redirects bewtween shopify stores best practices

Solved
Tourist
4 0 0

Hello,
I have a question about new domain name, accounts & url redirects
I own a shopify store & account: 'www.oldsite.com' (oldsite.myshopify.com) that i want to close down. I am now in the process of building a brand new shopify store: 'www.newsite.com' on a new account (newsite.myshopify.com)

I will want to redirect traffic from 'oldsite.com' to 'newsite.com'

I would like to redirect each individual page independently as some of the url structure will be different, mainly because i am changing the site's main language and that some products names/handles  will have to be changed. I am aware i can do URL redirects on 'oldsite' pointing to 'newsite'. Problem i see is i am afraid that when i terminate 'oldsite.myshopify.com' plan, the redirects will be lost.

How does one smartly go about this?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi, my suggestion for this case

• Keep active the old-domain.com
  • Point the domain to a simple hosting solution where you can configure an .htaccess file
  • Define in the .htaccess file all the rules you need to redirect old-domain.com to new-domain.com
• If the problem is solved remember to click ✅ to Accept Solution
• Press Like, if the answer was helpful
• Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development, optimization and consulting. You can hire me here.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

Smart!

Wonder if pausing the site or pause & build would keep the redirects active?

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

If you opt for Pause and Build plan, the redirects should stay active, but I don't know if it is a good solution. 

It is quite laborious manage the redirect for hundreds or thousands of URL from the backend, in this case it is probably better that you opt for an .htaccess solution, easier to manage (more rules flexibility).

• If the problem is solved remember to click ✅ to Accept Solution
• Press Like, if the answer was helpful
• Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development, optimization and consulting. You can hire me here.
0 Likes