Solved

How can I set different shipping rates based on item cost?

Niles
Excursionist
17 0 5

Hello, 

I need your help with SHIPPING RATES

At this moment we have FREE SHIPPING as the only option on the checkout page. 

We want FREE SHIPPING to be available to only customers who have an item that costs more than $100. 

We want to charge shipping for customers who have an item that costs less than $100. 

How can this be done?

Niles_0-1620745097589.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2830 442 576

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Niles!

Thanks for reaching out about this and sharing the screenshot for additional context. This is definitely doable and I'd be happy to provide you the steps for it.

In order to have shipping costs be free for orders totalling $100 or more we will need to setup some conditional statements. This allows the system to trigger different shipping rates based on different criteria like order value or order weight. In the screenshot you shared above, you can see the section for "Based on Item Weight" or "Based on Order Price", if you are only offering flat rate shipping, we want to use the "Based on Order Price" as our conditional statement.

• You will want to have at least one shipping rate that is for an order between $0.00 and $99.99 (Make sure to include the cents so that orders that fall between the dollars don't get lost).
  • And one shipping rate that is for orders $100.00 to No Limit (leave the maximum amount field empty).

Once completed, it should look like the image below:

11-16-42082-89094

For the orders under $100 you can also offer calculated shipping rates from UPS, USPS and DHL. The difference when using calculated rates is that you won't be able to set a minimum/maximum order amount and orders over $100 will see both the calculated shipping rate and the free shipping rate.

If you ever want to offer free shipping without adjusting your shipping rates you can also do so by providing a manual or automatic discount to qualifying orders. The only downside to this option is that without a discount app, you can only use one discount at a time. So if you have other discount codes active, customers wouldn't be able to use both. You can learn more about setting this up in our Help Center: Free Shipping Discount 

Also! If your business is located in North America you should consider installing the Offset App or allowing your customers to checkout using ShopPay so that your customers can rest easy knowing that when their orders from your business are shipped they are done so carbon neutral!

I'd be happy to help if you have any other shipping questions you need answered. 

- Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2830 442 576

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Niles!

Thanks for reaching out about this and sharing the screenshot for additional context. This is definitely doable and I'd be happy to provide you the steps for it.

In order to have shipping costs be free for orders totalling $100 or more we will need to setup some conditional statements. This allows the system to trigger different shipping rates based on different criteria like order value or order weight. In the screenshot you shared above, you can see the section for "Based on Item Weight" or "Based on Order Price", if you are only offering flat rate shipping, we want to use the "Based on Order Price" as our conditional statement.

• You will want to have at least one shipping rate that is for an order between $0.00 and $99.99 (Make sure to include the cents so that orders that fall between the dollars don't get lost).
  • And one shipping rate that is for orders $100.00 to No Limit (leave the maximum amount field empty).

Once completed, it should look like the image below:

11-16-42082-89094

For the orders under $100 you can also offer calculated shipping rates from UPS, USPS and DHL. The difference when using calculated rates is that you won't be able to set a minimum/maximum order amount and orders over $100 will see both the calculated shipping rate and the free shipping rate.

If you ever want to offer free shipping without adjusting your shipping rates you can also do so by providing a manual or automatic discount to qualifying orders. The only downside to this option is that without a discount app, you can only use one discount at a time. So if you have other discount codes active, customers wouldn't be able to use both. You can learn more about setting this up in our Help Center: Free Shipping Discount 

Also! If your business is located in North America you should consider installing the Offset App or allowing your customers to checkout using ShopPay so that your customers can rest easy knowing that when their orders from your business are shipped they are done so carbon neutral!

I'd be happy to help if you have any other shipping questions you need answered. 

- Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Niles
Excursionist
17 0 5

Thank you for your help, Shay. 

I made the changes and will keep it simple for now.