Solved

Hide my own visits in my own store

ilja
Explorer
81 2 13

Hey,

can I hide/exclude my own visits in my store in the analytics tab? I mean when I visit my store through my domain can I hide/exclude that in my statistics? Also can I hide/exclude my checkouts, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solution (1)
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @ilja!

Thank you for getting back to me with these details. 

Can you please confirm for me which specific report you're looking at to gather these details? 

While the 'Abandoned Checkouts'  section of the admin outlines the time that a checkout was initiated, it doesn't show the time that a product was added into the cart. If payment was attempted on the checkout, the time that the customer tried to add payment will be shown in the 'History'  of the abandoned checkout at the bottom of the page. More details on this can be found here.

If you're logged in to your admin in the same browser that you use to create your own abandoned checkout on your site, your checkout will still appear in the 'Abandoned Checkouts'  screen within your admin. However, this checkout can be archived by selecting the checkout, and clicking 'Actions > Archive checkouts', as shown here: 

16-10-ott3w-qo7xi.jpg

If you're referring to the data within a specific traffic report instead, please let me know the name of the report you're using and I can certainly help look into your question further. 

Best, 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 25 (25)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @ilja!

Rae from Shopify here. Thanks for reaching out with this question. 

To hide your own visits in the 'Analytics'  section of your admin, just make sure that you're logged in to your Shopify admin in the same browser window or session that's being used to view your live site. As long as you're logged in to your admin in the same window or browser, all of your own visits will be excluded from the Traffic reports in 'Analytics'

However, if you're using a browser that isn't logged in to your Shopify admin, or if you're browsing in a private window - by using Incognito mode on Chrome, for example - then your visits to your own site will be reflected in your store's reports. 

In terms of hiding your own checkouts, is this in regard to your own abandoned checkouts? Or, are you placing test orders, or actual orders on your site?

Please let me know what type of checkout you're hoping to hide, and I'll be glad to see what options we have. 

I look forward to hearing back from you! 

ilja
Explorer
81 2 13

Hey @Rae,

thank you for your answer. I meant the statistics about the times somebody added an item to cart or reached checkout. If I am logged in as an admin in shopify and reach in the same browser or window the checkout of my site will it hide it from the statistics, too?

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @ilja!

Thank you for getting back to me with these details. 

Can you please confirm for me which specific report you're looking at to gather these details? 

While the 'Abandoned Checkouts'  section of the admin outlines the time that a checkout was initiated, it doesn't show the time that a product was added into the cart. If payment was attempted on the checkout, the time that the customer tried to add payment will be shown in the 'History'  of the abandoned checkout at the bottom of the page. More details on this can be found here.

If you're logged in to your admin in the same browser that you use to create your own abandoned checkout on your site, your checkout will still appear in the 'Abandoned Checkouts'  screen within your admin. However, this checkout can be archived by selecting the checkout, and clicking 'Actions > Archive checkouts', as shown here: 

16-10-ott3w-qo7xi.jpg

If you're referring to the data within a specific traffic report instead, please let me know the name of the report you're using and I can certainly help look into your question further. 

Best, 

ilja
Explorer
81 2 13

Hey @Rae , 

being logged in in the same browser but having shopify open in another window doesn't work for excluding myself in the stats. Is it possible to delete my statistics in the analytics section?

Thank you in advance.

ilja
Explorer
81 2 13

Hey @Rae ,

how does it work on mobile? Do I have to be logged in in the same browser or is it enough to be logged in in the app?

Thank you in advance.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @ilja!

Thanks for following up.

While it's not possible to remove your data from the 'Analytics'  section of your admin, I can certainly help look into why the data is being collected.

Just to confirm, to hide your own statistics from the Traffic reports only, you will need to be logged in to your Shopify admin and visit your storefront from a window within that same browser. If you're opening a new browser window - rather than using a tab within the same browser window - then your data may appear on the Traffic reports. 

So that I can look into this further, can you please confirm what browser you're testing this on? Are you using a new tab within this browser, or opening a new window? Also, which specific reports are you viewing that include the data? Please make sure you're testing this on Traffic reports only. 

In terms of your second question, I recommend logging in to your admin from a browser only - not within the mobile app - to test this. If the statistics that are appearing on your Traffic reports are from mobile visits, then I suggest only using a desktop to test this moving forward. 

Lastly, I wanted to mention that viewing your site through the Theme Editor is a great way to ensure your visits aren't included in your store's analytics. To do this, log in to your admin, click on 'Online store > Themes'  and click 'Customize'  on your live theme. In this window, you can fully navigate your site and view your pages, without any data being collected. 

Please keep me posted on the above questions, and I'll be glad to take a deeper look into this. 

jtrosenthal
Visitor
1 0 2

I am looking at my site with the same browser that I am logged into shopify, and it still collects my data and shows up the the live view. How can I get it to stop including me?

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @jtrosenthal

Thanks for jumping in with this question. 

Which browser are you using when this happens? Are you viewing your site from a different tab within the same browser window that you're logged in to Shopify with? I shared more information on this here: 

Just to confirm, to hide your own statistics from the Traffic reports only, you will need to be logged in to your Shopify admin and visit your storefront from a window within that same browser. If you're opening a new browser window - rather than using a tab within the same browser window - then your data may appear on the Traffic reports. 

Also, did you have a chance to try viewing your site via the Theme Editor instead? More details on how this works are outlined here: 

I wanted to mention that viewing your site through the Theme Editor is a great way to ensure your visits aren't included in your store's analytics. To do this, log in to your admin, click on 'Online store > Themes'  and click 'Customize'  on your live theme. In this window, you can fully navigate your site and view your pages, without any data being collected. 

Please give these options a try, and keep me posted on the browser you're using. 

I hope to hear back from you soon! 

Marc1967
Tourist
6 0 14

I noticed the same thing is happening with my Stats when I open a new tab, and I am browsing the site, even though I am logged in. 

This is really a flawed model, imho.  Naturally, the store owner is going to be browsing and testing their own web sites. And having a ton of false/positives in the Stats isn't useful. 

Why doesn't Shopify simple have an option built in that allows us to exclude ourselves from the Stats? Or, enter the IP addresses upon which we want to exclude?

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Marc1967

Thanks for reaching out with this feedback. 

To clarify, which browser were you using when your visits were recorded in your analytics? Did this happen on multiple different supported browsers?

Did you also have a chance to try viewing your own site through the Theme Editor instead? This method was mentioned previously in this thread, and is a helpful workaround for some merchants. 

In the meantime though, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns about this, and I'm going to share your feedback with our teams directly for further review. If we make any changes in the future to how own store visits appear in our Traffic reports, we'll share more information on this in our changelog, as well as on our Updates blog

Cheers! 

Marc1967
Tourist
6 0 14

Hi Rae,

Thank you so much for the response! 

Primarily, I use Google Chrome. 

I did see the suggestion about going through The Theme Customization to view our pages, but I don't feel that gives us a real sense as to what the site looks like to our customers. 

There really needs to be a way to exclude ourselves, and others, by IP addresses. That way, you can have a team that is testing for you, and not being counted. 

Thank you again!

Marc

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Marc1967

I appreciate you following up on this. 

If you're logged in to your Shopify admin within one tab on a Google Chrome browser, and viewing your live site from a different tab within that same browser, your visits should be excluded from the Traffic reports. However, it sounds like this isn't the case, so can you please confirm which report is still recording your visits within the 'Analytics' section of your admin?

In the meantime though, I do understand the previous solutions shared in this thread aren't ideal for you, so I have shared your feedback on this with our teams directly.

Thanks for passing along your thoughts and concerns, and providing more information about how this impacts your business. We really appreciate receiving these details, and will continue to review your suggestions further on our end. 

Best, 

Marc1967
Tourist
6 0 14

Thank you, Rae! 🙂

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Marc1967

You're welcome! I'm happy to help out with this. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about your own visits showing on your store. 

Take care, 

Marc1967
Tourist
6 0 14

Thank you, Rae!

I was thinking that there might be an app out there that would with Shopify, and achieve the same goal.

The brief search I did, however, didn't really come up with much.

If you know of any such apps, please let me know.

Marc

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Marc1967

Great question! 

I'm not personally aware of any apps that can help with this, and I wasn't able to see any options in the Shopify App Store that allow certain IP addresses to be removed from Shopify analytics, either. 

However, Shopify Experts may be able to build a custom app to achieve this, so I recommend reaching out to them for more information. Experts are third-party designers and developers who are able to create custom integrations for our platform, so they're a great resource to consider using for a task like this. You can check out some of the Experts who create custom apps here

Best, 

Marc1967
Tourist
6 0 14

Thank you again, Rae! 

It's shocking that this app isn't already built! 

Whoever takes it on can likely make a bundle off of Shopify store owners. 

estellah
Visitor
2 0 6

I am just here to reiterate that I am shocked I cannot simply block my known IP Addresses from Analytics. This is a serious flaw and not resolved through Theme Previews which technically would only speak to Desktop. The previous poster's point about Mobile is huge in regards to App Open at same time as Chrome Browser on Phone. 

IP traffic tracers need to be added to Shopify STAT.

JuiceTheJoker
Visitor
2 0 3

Hey Rae!

Has there been any updates on this? I'm also having the same issue and it has been over a year since the original post. Would love to see if there's some sort of app or setting for this!

SoapMan
Tourist
3 0 9

Come on Shopify, Adding this feature is very helpful! If I run the website off to the side it wants to log into Shopify and not the website. Also Testing how it looks on Firefox's, chrome, and other browsers is important step of testing. All those tests shouldn't count as visits. 

geeth
Visitor
1 0 1

I do have the same problem 

where I am looking at session overtime report

PaladinVinyl
Tourist
9 0 3

In admin, Left side menu, just click on the eyeball next to Online Store. 

This turned it on for me and it works great.

2021-06-05 21_59_24-Paladin Vinyl ~ Home ~ Shopify.png

JuiceTheJoker
Visitor
2 0 3

Hey is there any updates on this? It's been over a year since this post, was hoping something has come of it!

SoapMan
Tourist
3 0 9
I gave up caring and started to sub it from the reports. If you use the same browser as you are log into Shopify but if you are testing it on cell phone or iPad or android it doesn’t help.

Anyways - You can’t add hostname or Your own IP address or dns or anything like that. It even counts if you use other browsers from the same computer as people view. It counts when computers check your site for data like google, Facebook, etc. I really don’t understand why it counts google scans but it does.

I gave up caring. I care about cart and sales.
momo05
Visitor
1 0 1

Any luck with this yet?