Solved

How Do I Customize a Subdomain in Themes?

Dimitry
Excursionist
11 0 1

This is confusing. I don't know if even asked the question correctly in the subject above. I created a subdomain within my store, no problem. Now I am trying to figure out how I access the subdomain to customize it. How do I get to it?

I am even more confused now that I have asked for help.

Thank you, Gurus!

Accepted Solution (1)
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@Dimitry 

Thank you for the context. I would recommend taking it one step at a time and address those points when they come versus trying to set up multiple themes right away. A general store is one route to go; however, can make marketing more difficult as you're trying to market to a wider audience. 

I would try to focus on a specific product niche that you're passionate about; or one that you, yourself would purchase from. As you'll have knowledge of the product and/or know how the customer thinks, you'll have a higher chance of targeting the correct audience. 

Our blog posts below can help you decide on a product niche for your store:

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@Dimitry 

Domains wouldn't typically be controlled through your theme, but rather the domains section of your admin (if you purchased through Shopify) or through your domain provider (if you purchased the domain outside of Shopify). You can find more information Shopify owned domains through our help centre here. 

Could you tell me what you're trying to customize and/or what you're trying to achieve? With more context on the issue, I can help provide a more concise answer to your question. 

Dimitry
Excursionist
11 0 1

Hello, Peter.

I'd like to state that I clearly know nothing, but I have an active imagination and uncontrollable mind. I don't think I know how subdomains are supposed to work. Let say my main URL is mydomain.com. I thought I could do something like camping.mydomain.com and this subdomain would be all about camping with its own branding; biking.mydomain.com and this subdomain would be all about biking and cycling and the branding would be different than camping.mydomain.com; etc. This is why I was wondering if I could edit the theme differently for each subdomain.

I'm crazy, right?

—Dimitry

eStoreSpeed
Explorer
43 6 12

Hi Dimitry,

You will probably need to have multiple Shopify stores for each of your domains, if you want to make completely separate content, see here for guide https://pagefly.io/blogs/shopify/multiple-shopify-stores

Hope this helps!

Best,

eStoreSpeedOptimization

Subscribe to Shopify speed improvement newsletter (we never spam)
Dimitry
Excursionist
11 0 1

Thank you very much for your input. 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@Dimitry 

Much to what @eStoreSpeed said, this would require multiple stores. Your Shopify subscription pays for one website. Any domains added to Online Store/Domains will all lead to the same place so it would not be possible to have multiple subdomains that lead to different products. 

1. Are these existing businesses or new businesses? 
  2. Is there a reason why you can't have all products under one roof?

Dimitry
Excursionist
11 0 1

Hello, Peter.

I took an online course about starting an online business. The instructor suggested starting a general store to narrow down my niche and audience. I thought it would have been cool to have several branded sites for the general stores. I guess I was over thinking the process. Thank you for your insight and response.

—Dimitry

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

@Dimitry 

Thank you for the context. I would recommend taking it one step at a time and address those points when they come versus trying to set up multiple themes right away. A general store is one route to go; however, can make marketing more difficult as you're trying to market to a wider audience. 

I would try to focus on a specific product niche that you're passionate about; or one that you, yourself would purchase from. As you'll have knowledge of the product and/or know how the customer thinks, you'll have a higher chance of targeting the correct audience. 

Our blog posts below can help you decide on a product niche for your store: