How long does it take to import?

Highlighted
2 0 0

I started importing my csv file and it's been sitting there with the circle going for 30 mins. How long is this supposed to take? Do I just leave it to go? Do I try again? There's 3100 products, no pictures

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
263 37 48

Hi, @handmadesask!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

Uploading a CSV can take anywhere from a minute to several hours depending on how large the document is.

There is a limit to 15 MB for each CSV that you upload.

Given the limit, if your CSV file is below that and is taking longer than a few minutes to upload, the most likely cause is that it's a large file and the system is working on each line to read and add the object into the admin.

Because Products have quite a few details that need to be placed in the right places, the system will not rush through the process.

For your file being 3100 lines, you may have an hour or two before it completes. If the screen says that it's working on uploading the file and the circle is spinning, you can leave the page and continue working on anything else you need.

It will continue working in the background without interfering in the rest of the pages you need to work on.

As soon as the file has imported, you'll receive an email letting you know the results and if there were any errors.

Please don't upload again as that can cause the first file to get stuck in the queue there and it won't finish uploading.

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
I left it to sit overnight and the circle was still spinning. Nothing
uploaded.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm having the same issue today.  I haven't had a problem in the past.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
263 37 48

Hey, @handmadesask I'd love to take a closer look for you here.

I'm going to send you an email here shortly so we can work on this together.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi Lilith, 

Is the same for a customer lists? I imported about 6000 customers about 5 days ago and it still hasn't finished. It seems to be at the same number of 1632 and hasn't budge now for the last few days. Please can you help?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi,

I started to import a file of clients (with around 5000 clients) yesterday around this time. I still havent received the email confirmation of the upload, however I tried to upload the next client file with 5000 more lines and it says it is still uploading the one from yesterday. Could this be an error? Is there a way to troubleshoot?

0 Likes