How to Hide URL Query Parameter

HumailJamal
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi,

From last few days in receiving notification through my facebook pixel the my shopify store is sharing data of customers through Url query patameter. My store is related to multivitamins & supplements and because of that facebook is giving the warning to hide data of customers which is received by facebook pixel. Please guide me how to fix this issue. Thanks in advance

this is the exact message which I'm receiving on my facebook pixel. Please guide.

pixel.jpg

Replies 10 (10)

David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

If possible, could we see the url in question?

HumailJamal
Visitor
3 0 0

"https://medicalmartpk.com/search?type=_removed_&q=_removed_&_filteredParams=_removed_"

Facebook has removed data from the link. where ever removed is written, it shows facebook has remove data from there.

David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

In your link, anything after the '?' is a variable.  Pixel is just saying no to anything after '?'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//consider this example

www.my_example_store.com?item=rx&amount=4

//pieces. web page
www.my_example_store.com
// variables to start here
  ?
//first variable (example) (variable name)=(stored value)  eg: name=mitchermich
item=rx
//begin next variable (this symbol tells marks the beginning of the next variable.
&
//the next variable.  (really long links are usually structured like this.
amount=4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next part depends on weather you're generating your link or if a program is generating it for you.

If you are, then you can remove anything after the '?' unless you need it for your site.

If you are not, then the answer gets a bit involved (depends)

Basically, Facebook throws a flag because of this format ->www.example_store.com?.... 

this is to discourage the use of exposed user data submitted in a form.  It's right in the url and anyone can see it.

If you are just using it to load a cart or for promotions, you can still pass the data, but you'll have to change it as below to avoid facebook flagging it,

But you'll have to make the receiving webpage translate the data given in this format.

//if you control the site and want to bypass this issue, you can do this.

www.example_store.com/item/rx/amount/4

//breakdown

//site url
www.example_store.com
//first variable

/item/rx

//second variable
/amout/4

If a plugin is generating this link, maybe check if you can limit or remove variables in the generated url.

If you are simply linking the url yourself (copy paste) then you can alter the url to different temporary pages redirecting to whatever promotions or products your are promoting.  

This is the base of the error.  The cause would need looking into your store and settings or plugin responsible.  If the problem persists, I'll check for a reply.

HumailJamal
Visitor
3 0 0

Thank you for the detailed response.

Let me clear I'm not generating these links on my own, nor I'm have installed any plugin.

in the light of the above clarification, please guide how to fix this issue.

all the events are receiving this error.

HumailJamal_0-1621334104702.png

David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

I'd have to study Facebook pixel a bit more to give you a concise answer.  

For now I'm looking through articles like this one since  I may try integrating pixel in my dev store in the future.

https://www.monolithgrowth.com/blog-posts/fix-your-facebook-tracking-pixel-problems-with-this-5-step...

You may have better luck getting to the answer before me, but when I solve this problem, I'll share what I've learned.

David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

Hello,  I've joined a dev team and one of our members might be able to help you with the facebook pixel issue.

If you'd like for a professional to solve this for you, please let me know, and I'll get you connected.

lmpsjnk
Tourist
5 0 1

Looking for someone that could help us with this, please.

MaxMetis
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi David, having the same issue. What was the solution? 
Looking forward to your reply

DaleD
4 0 0

I'm having this exact same issue where Facebook is flagging the native Shopify search query as exposing potentially sensitive medical info.

https://mysite.com/search?type=product&q=hello

"Review potentially violating health data"

Given that that adding search terms in the URL is standard behaviour for Shopify, has anyone found a fix? 

MaxMetis
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

any luck finding a solution? 🙂