How to Implement Canonical Tags for Duplicate Product Pages

ocwildseafoodca
1 0 0

Hello, I am looking to duplicate my products as a workaround for needing some products to be sold in increments of 2 when being delivered, and increments of 1 when being picked up at the store. We sell fish fillets by the pound and when offering pickup, we offer it sold in 1-lb increments, but for delivery, only 2-lb increments. We use the Order Limits app to adjust the required minimums and increments. We use the Zapiet Store Pickup + Delivery app for delivery and pickup options, but we aren’t able to specify a product quantity condition for the delivery/pickup method. As a workaround, we’d need to create two separate products for each product. One would have the 2-lb-increment restriction on it, and the other would not. I don’t want this to cause SEO issues for us, so I’d like to implement canonical tags on the secondary product page that would reference the primary product page. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Our shop uses the Debut theme.

0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
185 16 45

For custom canonicals, I usually set up a canonical product metafield using a metafield app. Then customise the theme liquid to say something like: 

if [canonical] metafield not blank

then replace default canonical with [canonical]

Full time Shopify SEO. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
0 Likes