How to Implement Canonical Tags for Duplicate Product Pages

ocwildseafoodca
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I am looking to duplicate my products as a workaround for needing some products to be sold in increments of 2 when being delivered, and increments of 1 when being picked up at the store. We sell fish fillets by the pound and when offering pickup, we offer it sold in 1-lb increments, but for delivery, only 2-lb increments. We use the Order Limits app to adjust the required minimums and increments. We use the Zapiet Store Pickup + Delivery app for delivery and pickup options, but we aren’t able to specify a product quantity condition for the delivery/pickup method. As a workaround, we’d need to create two separate products for each product. One would have the 2-lb-increment restriction on it, and the other would not. I don’t want this to cause SEO issues for us, so I’d like to implement canonical tags on the secondary product page that would reference the primary product page. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Our shop uses the Debut theme.

Replies 2 (2)

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 116

For custom canonicals, I usually set up a canonical product metafield using a metafield app. Then customise the theme liquid to say something like: 

if [canonical] metafield not blank

then replace default canonical with [canonical]

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.

Kitty_Zapiet
Shopify Partner
78 1 3

Hi Guys, 

Apologies for the delayed reply - we have only just seen this forum post. 

Do you know if this was added to our feature request system? Our dev team regularly check what features our merchants would like to see added to the app - if you would like to reach out to us at support@zapiet.com with your email address, we can check to see if the suggestion has been made and create a request if there is not one already. 

If you need any more assistance or information you can email us at supprt@zapiet.com, you can also start a live chat via the Support tab in the Store Pickup + Delivery app or by visiting www.zapiet.com, we are always happy to help. 

Take care, 

Kitty