How to clean up underlying code?

RoboCode2000
Tourist
19 0 1

A review of PageSpeed Insights reveal there is code that impacts the performance of our site.
Some of it i cannot find. Some of the code contains words like "Handlebars" and "Boomerang", however, Ive not heard of that, nor can i locate it to have a look.

Any suggestions?

Replies 3 (3)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2222 202 592

Handlebars is used for creating templates within your site, if that's part of your theme you may break functionality by removing it. Boomerang I'm not sure in your case but here are some tips (I'm the founder of the Shopify optimization agency Speed Boostr😞

1) PageSpeed Insights gives good general advice but you have to weed through irrelevant or inadvisable warnings if you're on an engaging ecommerce website that uses apps. Most engaging ecommerce sites I've seen score low with that tool (even billion dollar businesses). If you're interested in diving deep into that and how to improve the score with that tool this article will help: https://speedboostr.com/google-psi-for-shopify.

2) I would start with standard optimizations for Shopify sites. To do that, run your site through the Shopify Analyzer. That's a free tool my team built for the Shopify community. From there you'll get recommendations that you can take to your team to fix. If you need help, you can either contact us (speedboostr.com/contact) or go through our Shopify optimization guide.

3) To find code that is not needed but affecting performance, take a look in your major theme files (theme.liquid, product.liquid and its descendants, etc) and look for code snippets from old apps you've uninstalled. When you delete an app, Shopify revokes that app's access, so it's not able to clean up after itself if it added code to your site.

4) If you have code that is affecting your performance but is used in your site (like handlebars, or code from current apps), then it serves a purpose and shouldn't be removed. Analysis tools are just automated recommendations, they don't factor in revenue generating functions. My advice is to optimize what's possible but don't strip your site down just to get a higher score in any tool.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
RoboCode2000
Tourist
19 0 1

Thank you for the info, helps alot

tim
Shopify Expert
3274 236 1183

Boomerang is an "End user oriented web performance testing and beaconing"

Used by Shopify, injected as part of the {{ content_for_head }} in your theme layout.

If my post is helpful, consider liking it -- it will help others with similar problem to find a solution.