How to create a plugin?

ahzam
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi, I am looking for a way to create a plugin for the 'debut' theme. 

I've created a filter on the collections page which filters the products based on the filters chosen (color, size, brand etc). I've done all my customization in the collection.liquid file under the templates directory. I've only used liquid and javascript in the file and there is no code for the backend because this is a simple filter. I need to know how can I make this customization of mine into a plugin which can be published to the app store. I'm kind of confused if I have to create an app for this(why would I need to create a backend app if only customization is in the collection.liquid file) , I'm going through the docs but I don't understand.

Thanks. 

0 Likes
Jayvin
Shopify Partner
217 34 57

Hi,

Well of course you have to create an app, so that it can be published in the shopify app store.

1. Shopify users will install your app after searching in the app store
  2. When the app is installed, your backend app does the modification to the store files(collection.liquid file and add the necessary javascripts)
  3. Then you get paid at the end of the month

If you do not want to get paid, then just add the modified files(.liquid and javascript) on a public github repository and share it for free.

Simple.

0 Likes
ahzam
Tourist
13 0 1

Thank you Jayvin. But isn't there any way to just distribute my javascript code through a plugin. Like making a bundle, and putting it on the app store. I am kind of looking for a way to do all this without diving into the back-end.

0 Likes