How to display price in square meters, but sell by full boxes?

Reio
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello all, I want to open a tile shop on Shopify, but I ran into a problem.

So the industry standard is to show the prices of tiles in square meters/feet, but most retailers only sell tiles by full boxes, which contain a differing amount of square meters/feet (e.g 1 box = 1.43 square meters/feet).  This means that the "true" price of 1 product is actually the price of the box.

Is there a way I could show the prices of my tiles in square meters/feet, but sell them by full boxes? 

I found a few pricing calculator apps, but they all seem to over complicate things.

If there are any people selling products online in such a way I would love to hear about your methods.

Replies 8 (8)

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 361

How often do your prices change/need to add new products? Just thinking if relatively static then you could probably get what you want simply by storing your price per sq m/ft in a metafield and outputting that to the front end. Then just use standard Shopify functionality re price per box & quantity of boxes.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution

Owner of Neuralcandy Shopify Agency
marie_h
Tourist
6 1 4

If your situation is similar to the starting topic, then you do not need anything custom, simply ask Shopify support to enable unit prices in your shop (this is by default enabled for France and Germany, but can be enabled for shops based elsewhere upon request).

Most recent  themes from the theme store support this.

You'd be able to set product price to be a price of a box, and then specify that box contains 1.43sqm and you want to show prices per sqm and system will do this for you automagically. No need to use metafields, which (usually) require an app to manage them.

aldesigncenter
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Reio, did you ever find out how to do this? I am selling tiles and would like to know how you (if you have) fixed your issue.

hillabrwn
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there,

May I ask how you added the sqm and box(es) portion??

hillabrwn
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi!

May I ask how you did the sqm and box option?

Oswell
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hey Watson, could you kindly assist me with this code? I would like to implement similar functionality on my product page but with Square Feet (SqFt) instead. I will take care of the remaining tasks. Thank you in advance!

patsyroysia
Visitor
1 0 0

I would love some more information on how you achieved this please, this is just what I am looking for on my website. kind regards Patsy

hillabrwn
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there,

How did you implement this on your site?