How to organize a holiday break in shopify

Solved
ckong
Excursionist
34 0 5

I would like to take a holiday break and prevent customers for a few weeks to place an order in my shop. But I do want them to be able to visit the shop and view all products, to be able to make an account, to be able to fill a wishlist, subscribe to newsletters, etc. In fact, the only thing that they shouldn't be able to do is to place an order until the holidya break is over. 

How do I organize that in Shopify? Is it simply pausing the shop? Or are there better options?

0 Likes
Summer
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
38 4 4

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @ckong!

This is Summer from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for your question! That's a really good one. You can certainly take a break from accepting orders in your store.

To prevent customers from placing an order but still allow them to access and navigate around your website, all you need to do is put your store on the Pause and Build plan. You may see the steps to do this in this pagePlease take note you may only select the Pause and Build plan when your store has been on a paid plan for at least 60 days.

Putting your store on the Pause and Build plan will prevent the customers from accessing your checkout however, they will still be seeing the Add to cart buttons on your product pages. To improve the customer experience and proactively set the expectation that they can't place orders during that time, you can hide your product prices and hide your Add to cart buttons.

Additionally, make sure you communicate the brief hiatus to your customers by sending them an email about this. If you don't use an existing email marketing platform, you may add Shopify Email to your store and follow this guide to send a newsletter. Email communication is a very effective method to get a message across to your customers. If you want to gain some traction with conversions as soon as you reopen, you may also prepare automated emails to go out near this time. Shopify Email does not offer automations at the moment, but you may look into the alternative email marketing apps in this page for this feature.

Lastly, don't forget to add an announcement bar to your header so the customers that aren't subscribed to your newsletter are aware of the break. The steps to add an announcement bar varies depending on the theme you use, but you may refer to this page for the steps in adding it in a Shopify theme and for an alternative solution if your theme doesn't have an announcement bar.

The Pause and Build plan is the best option for this specific setup however, if you don't want customers to access your website, you may temporarily enable the password-protected page and customize it to let your customers know about the temporary closure.

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog