How to pass customer information from our site to checkout page through an embeded button?

mgross
2 0 1

Hello, we are new to using shopify and were wondering if there is a way to pass customer information from our site to checkout page when they click on the embedded shopify button on our store page.

Since we have our own registration on our site, we already have much of the contact information requested by the shopify checkout page. We do not want to ask our users for this information again if they have already provided it to us via signing up to our site.

I want to know how we can pass fields like address, first and last name, etc.. to the checkout page so that the input fields are already filled out when the customer goes to checkout.

We are currently on the shopify lite plan, so let us know if we need to upgrade plans for the solution to work.

For reference, this is that page I am referring to when I say checkout page

mgross_0-1617218220089.png

0 Likes
Kyle_W
Shopify Expert
133 21 81

Hi @mgross!

You can use Shopify's cart permalinks to achieve your goal. By appending some checkout query parameters in the cart permalink URL, you'll be able to pre-fill the contact and address fields on the checkout page in Shopify. Here is a tutorial with more details: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Cart-Use-permalinks-to-pre-load-the-cart/td-p/613702

Hopefully this helps!

Kyle W | Helium Dev, LLC
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu
mgross
2 0 1

Hey Kyle,

We have tried using the permalinks to accomplish this behavior before. When we follow the link, we are taken to a page with the correct product, but the page says that the item is out of stock. We have set the stock of the item in the shopify admin to a large number (one million). Even with that we still get the same out of stock message.

I have looked through the forum thread that discusses the permalinks, and someone mentioned that they had a problem similar to mine. Their explanation was that since the item was not on their store on the shopify site, that the item would show out of stock. 

Does this mean that we need to have a shopify web store? If so, do we also need to upgrade to shopify basic plan?

Kyle_W
Shopify Expert
133 21 81

Hey there,

I am not too familiar with Shopify's Lite plan, but it sounds like the stock issue is occurring because the product(s) need to be assigned to the Online Store sales channel, and that channel is not available on the Lite plan. Shopify's Basic plan does include the Online Store sales channel, so you may need to upgrade.

Prior to upgrading your plan, it might be worth testing out an app like ZipLinks (https://apps.shopify.com/permalinks) to see if you can work around the stock issue. I noticed that the FAQ page for ZipLinks specifically mentions that it works with Shopify Lite...

Let us know how it goes either way!

Kyle W | Helium Dev, LLC
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu