I bought a domain but I get a message that says "A store with that domain name already exists"

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hello, 

Sorry for the previous post. It just took of. 

My name is Annia Torres. I have the following problem. I bought a domain from GoDaddy.com. Before buying this domain from GoDaddy I verified the domain on Shopify and it was available. However, when I tried to connect the domain to Shopify I get the following message: that domain is already in use by another store. I called GoDaddy and they said that I am the owner of that domain and that I have the proof that I am the owner of it by showing/sending the receipt. They say that what may happen is that another person owned that domain in the past and that Shopify needs to disconnect that domain from the owner of that store so that I can connect it to my store. GoDaddy is more than welcome to help with this situation if necessary. 

Please, how can I speak with a Shopify Rep about this issue so that I can resolve it inconvenience as soon as possible? I hope to hear from Shopify. 

Thank you very much in advance,

Annia

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hello,

I bought a domain name through GoDaddy.com. Before buying it I checked it on Shopify and it was fine, it didn't say it was taken by another store. I called GoDaddy to have a refund of it. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
880 75 100

Hi @AnnTorr,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us.

That's correct! It sounds as though another merchant had previously added the domain to a different Shopify store and never removed it, which is why you are seeing that error. If you now own the domain, I can help authenticate your account and remove the domain from the old store. I've just emailed you privately if you could take a look at your inbox and reply back to me. 

How far along are you with the setup? How are you finding Shopify so far? If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,a

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes