I need my video to play WITH volume!

Highlighted
3 0 0

I have a video on my home page that I want to autoplay WITH sound, but it's defaulted to being muted. How do I change this?

I uploaded the video as an .mp4 file and I'm inserting into the code.  Here's what I'm using:

<div class="section-hura-video">
<video autoplay muted loop playsinline class="hurabg-video">
<source src="https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0333/8806/9004/files/Relaxerie.com_Welcome.mp4?v=1604755437?re1=0&...">
</video>
</div>

{% schema %}
{
"name": "Section name",
"settings": []
}
{% endschema %}

{% stylesheet %}
.section-hura-video{
width:100%;
}
.hurabg-video{
right: 0;
bottom: 0;
width: 100%;
height: auto;
}
{% endstylesheet %}

{% javascript %}
{% endjavascript %}

I'm using the Startup Theme. I've also tried using the video content block through the theme editor to upload the video as a Vimeo and Youtube link, but the muting issue is still the same. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
206 17 57

Hey, @relaxeriedave.

Welcome to Shopify Community. My name is Olivia and I work here.

Thank you for sharing your question with our network. Sound playing is not actually determined by the embedding, rather by the browser that is being used to visit the site and the user's personal preference.

For example, Google Chrome will prevent sound from playing by default, unless otherwise specified by the user. This is why sound doesn't typically play without user intervention - ie. pressing play on the video. Read more about Google Chrome audio playback settings change here.

Remember, each browser will have their own default settings, and the end user must adjust those to have audio automatically play when visiting your website. Disabling audio autoplay is usually the preferred default setting, and will provide the best user experience for your customers.

Another idea might be to focus on the visuals that will auto-play in the background to encourage your visitors to enable audio as well. Perhaps you can also take advantage of the homepage to display messages via text that you want to communicate through your audio.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes