Image Upload Failed in Blog Post Featured Image

Elysia
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi,

I've been creating and uploading images to the "featured image" in blog posts the same way with no problems, but am suddenly getting an error message.  It reads, "Image upload failed. Could not generate an image extension name."  The files sizes are small (around 144 kb), are jpegs, and have the .jpg extension already.  I haven't been doing anything differently.  Is this a bug?  Is there a workaround?  

Thanks!

Replies 13 (13)

ciroahome
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi

I believe this is a bug - I saw on another forum multiple users having this problem (myself being one of them). Hopefully it's fixed soon.

jasminsinger
Tourist
3 0 4

I am having this same issue right now and have been trying to fix it all morning. I eagerly accept any suggestions. Thank you! 

chrisbagg
Visitor
1 0 1

+1. I keep trying to upload an image to the "Featured" space and the site doesn't even register the image. In the past we've been able to hit "save" after uploading an image, but that's not the case today, it seems. I've tried different size images and different browsers—same result.

jasminsinger
Tourist
3 0 4

Right, same. I finally got in touch with Shopify and they said it was a glitch, then they emailed me a few hours later saying it was fixed, but it's still happening on my end. I definitely need a solution here ...

Elysia
Tourist
5 0 2

I'm still having this issue, but weirdly, my boss was able to upload the photos.  No idea why.  She might be using a Mac (I'm on PC.)  Maybe that's why?

ciroahome
Visitor
2 0 1
I'm still having this issue too. On a mac.
AlejandroEguia
Visitor
2 0 2

Same problem over here, since 24 hours ago.

AlejandroEguia
Visitor
2 0 2

A few minutes ago I talked to Shopify support and they suggested uploading the image with a Full Access account (my account had limited access).

So, I tried in the same store with a full access account, and it worked. The error does not appear.

I suppose for many it's not possible to have full access because of company policies, etc.

But at least, it's a temporary solution while it's being solved for users with limited access.

Elysia
Tourist
5 0 2

Thank you Alejandro.  That must be why my boss was able to do it and not me.  How inconvenient, though.  I hope it gets fixed soon.

shop20201
Tourist
6 0 8

This error seems to be related to certain users, but not user permissions. We were able to test it with a different user account that has the same permissions, and did it from the same computer and it worked fine. If i had to wager a guess, I think that there is a certain cluster of servers that have the issue, but it is not across all of Shopify's server set. Either way - this needs to be fixed asap. Just burned a couple hours of time from our team trying to sort this out.

made4ubymichell
Visitor
1 0 0

I have tried to put the feature image on with two different computers and it won't stay and I have no way to save it. When my boss (who has full access) does it, it works just fine. I REALLY hope this gets fixed soon as I can't do my job and it is bothersome to keep having my boss stop what she is doing to do something so simple that I should be able to do. Please look into fixing this!!!

Elysia
Tourist
5 0 2

The problem seems to have been fixed.  I'm not experiencing it anymore, at least.

R_Alex
Visitor
1 0 0

It's still happening sometimes and then it worked after a while again, not sure why that bug keeps happening.

But I found a temporary fix at least for me.

I log out of Shopify completely restart the PC then open everything again and log back in.
Not sure If that works for everyone but it seems to do it for me, good luck everyone!