Internal Customer Notes to New Order Notification Email

Flower_Power
2 0 0

I need to be able to add the internal Customer Notes that my team stores about a customer into the new order email I receive, this is important to highlight a special need identifed in the past for a customer.  For example, a customer tells my team that they can't stand the color yellow, and this note is placed in the shopify Customer database.  For future orders, I wan't that and all internal customer notes shown at the top of my new order email, so the team is aware from step 1.  To be clear, I am not looking for any notes that the customer adds to an order, just the notes stored internally for the customer.

I am unable to add the correct syntax/variable to my New Order notification email template to add the specific Customer notes found in the customer database, not to be confused with the notes filled out by a customer in an order or delivery notes.  I am specifically referring to the internal notes stored with the Shopify customer table, not the notes stored with an order. See the edit customer page in shopify under the manually editable "Customer Note" box at the top to see which field I am referring.

I have tried several variations of {{ customer.note }}, but that does not work.  Also, in the Shopify export file of the customer table, the column that contains these notes is calles "note".

0 Likes
gina-gregory
Shopify Expert
710 47 168

The customer note field is not available to output with liquid. Try putting the information into a customer metafield instead and use that.

0 Likes
Flower_Power
2 0 0

OK thank you so much, I will try that out.  I am new to liquid, but will do some digging on metfields. 

Three quick questions before I embark:

1. Will customer metafields be retrievable by placing a variable in the New Order email notification template (for example, if my metafield is reminder... {{ customer.reminder }} )  If so, can someone show me example syntax for the variable to add?
  2. Where will my team edit the metafield, in the admin console under customers?
  3. Will the metafield be visible in the admin console for a customer?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
gina-gregory
Shopify Expert
710 47 168
  1. Yes. Metafields have a namespace and a key. https://shopify.dev/docs/themes/liquid/reference/objects/metafield
    The syntax is generally like this {{ customer.metafields.namespace.key }}
  2. While metafields are native to Shopify, they do not currently offer a way to manage metafields natively (dumb, I know). You'll need an app. There are some free ones in the app store.
  3. It will be visible in whatever metafield app you use.
0 Likes