Issue with checkout cart is emptying on mobile devices

aliceshops
Tourist
8 0 2

Hello,

I am having an issue with checkout on my shopify store https://in-with-the-old-limted.myshopify.com/

on mobile devices (seems to be just iPhone) when customers add a product to the cart then press checkout the cart empties immediately so cusotmers cannot reach checkout

I have reached out to shopify support who think its an issue with the theme but I wont hear back from them till at least Monday. Its so frustraring as we are losing sales

Hope someone here might know about what is causing the issue! thanks in advance

Replies 19 (19)

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

I'm having the same issue. Losing lots of customers. I've made no changes to my site but it's happened suddenly. Shopify support just say it all works fine when they try it. But my customers say otherwise. What theme are you using? I'm on Minimal v9.0

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Same issue here. Shopify said the issue is with products bundling app. However, even after disabling the app the issue is still here. Looks like it is affecting only Safari users. We changed our theme to Brooklin, just in case if this is related to Theme, did not help. 

We done a lot of testing, apparently, when you are using Private/Incognito mode on Safari, everything is ok. 

Waiting for Shopify to reply for 2 days now. Very frustrating 😞 

aliceshops
Tourist
8 0 2
Hello,

My theme people helped me abs foound the issue is with the mailchimp ap so we disabled it and all is okay again. So try checking your ApS one at a time if you haven’t already. I spoke to Shopify on the chat function but they weren’t helpful. Have you tried your theme people?
Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Thank you for suggestion! 

We are using Vitals 40+ apps in one. Tried disabling, did not help. We are using Brooklyn theme.  

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Juri, there are now several threads about on this Technical Q&A forum, so it is affecting other users too. It's definitely happening on Safari (so nearly all Apple device users can't place orders!) but I'm finding it's an issue on Firefox browser too. Disabling apps or trying different/old themes doesn't fix the issue. I think it's probably an issue for many more stores but they won't even have realised it yet as some customers can still place orders so it's not immediately obvious there's a problem.

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Thank you David, 

When we reached our Shopify, they said there are similar reports and they connected it to bundling apps. However, even after disabling the app, did not help. 

Shopify done testing, apparently using Android, and said they do not see any issues and everything works fine. Well, we done some testing from our side, when we found the issue is with Safari/Firefox users only. Still waiting for reply from Shopify. 

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Jurji, what is the exact name of the app that you have that Shopify say is causing the problem?

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Shopify pointed on Vitals 40+ in one. But only because there were similar reports and all the shops who reported the issue are using bundling apps (well I think 99% of all shops are using those apps anyway). 

We reached Vitals, they done some testing and are sure the problem is not related with them. 

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

That makes me more convinced that the issue is not being caused by 3rd party apps as I don't have the Vitals app but we are having the same issue. Several other people who have reported the same issue also have different apps installed so it seems very unlikely that all these different apps could be starting to malfunction at the same time over the last few days. Plus, we have all found that disabling apps in testing does not fix the issue.

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Same thoughts here! 

We tried using Safari incognito mode, and all works perfectly.

Also, skipping the cart page and directing customers straight to the checkout page eliminates the issue. But then, in this case, the customers are not able to add several products to the cart. So this is not the option we can apply to fix the issue.

It all makes me think that the issue is exactly in the cart page/cart page coding.
Very frustrating Shopify does not reply.

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

I agree, we cannot expect customers to go into private/incognito mode or skip the cart page! (besides, there's no way of even asking them to do that when they browse the website).

I have noticed something else: at first I though the cart was emptying when the customer clicked the checkout button but it actually happens if they click anywhere! So if they've added something to the cart and then look at another product, the cart is then empty. that's what i've seen happening on my store anyway. i just wonder if there is something wrong with Shopify's cookies that they place on a device as it might explain why the cart contents aren't being 'remembered' between page clicks. might also partly explain why private mode seems to work as that mode blocks some cookies/code ???

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

same here - clicking on any button empties cart. I just wonder when Shopify even considers the option that the issue might be from their side 😕 

SweetPaws_Steph
Visitor
2 0 0

I have been experiencing this same issue since Friday last week (at least that's when a customer notified me that they were having issues with their cart emptying) but not sure how long exactly it has been happening. I use the Brooklyn theme and have not made any changes to the theme code in quite some time. I do use a third party app that touches the cart page but they looked into it and couldn't find any reason for the problem on their end and that it looks like a Shopify code issue. I do not use any bundling apps as pointed to in a previous reply.

The problem is definitely occurring in Safari for me but no issues with Chrome (I haven't tested in Firefox). I have tested with both the cart page and the drawer cart and the problem exists with both. On the cart page if there are items in the cart, whenever you click either the "update cart" or "checkout" button the cart empties and if you leave the cart page and then go back to it it is empty. Similarly for the drawer cart, if you close the drawer cart and then click out of the page you were on and then click on the cart again it is empty. But if you close the drawer cart and don't actually leave the page you were on and click on the cart again it does not empty and still contains your items. So for the time being I have the drawer cart enabled and people can checkout if they are only purchasing one item. But as soon as they try to update their cart with more items it empties so I am sure I have lost many sales.

I appreciate all of the information and insight being provided in this thread. It's disappointing that Shopify doesn't seem to realize it is a big issue. I am sure I am one of many stores that has been experiencing the issue but have not been very vocal about it. 

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Steph, thanks for joining us. That's about 6 of us (across different discussion threads) with the issue now. Admittedly it's a small number, but enough to know that it's not a store-specific issue. I was initially convinced it was only my store affected and spent hours testing it and checking it, but it now looks more and more like it's a Shopify problem. We all have different themes and apps installed but we all have the same issue symptoms. Hopefully more people will post about the same issue soon as that will increase the chances of getting a fix (in theory).

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Just an update, it looks like for us the issue suddenly disappeared. We have not done or change anything, just done test today and now the customers are able to checkout. 

Still not sure what happened and just waiting for reply from Shopify if they can give more information so it does not happen in the future. 

Hope everyone is sorted out as well!!  

David28
Explorer
90 0 20

Yes, it's working at the moment. I have had an email from Shopify technical team saying that's it's only a temporary fix and they are still saying it's the fault of the apps. So I'm not sure what will happen next.

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Thank you for the update! Temporary fix does not sound very encouraging but at least something 🙂 

caroni3
Visitor
1 0 0

yes really I also faced the similar type of issue regarding this cart pleaseguide me about it because when ever I tried to use it on my mobile phone it shows this error.

Jurij
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi Caroni,

Shopify notified that the issue was with the apps related to the product bundling. So we tested a lot by disabling (not deleting) each app one by one. Then we switched our Theme just in case. 

I am not sure what exactly helped, however, after 3 days the issue gone. We received an email from Shopify saying they are working with the apps developers to fix this problem. So must probably they done something. 

I would recommend you to get in touch with Shopify. We used a live chat and then continue via email. Best wishes!