Tourist
6 0 1

I have a shop:

myshopname.com or www.myshopname.com

It is in the Dutch language.

For other European customers we also have these subdomains:

en.myshopname.com (my shop in English)

de.myshopname.com (my shop in German)

Somehow since 2 weeks Italian visitors cannot access the English or German sites anymore.

Visiting the Dutch website works fine (but they do not understand a word of it).

We do not use any tools to block annoying visitors.

What can be the reason?

(more information like error messages will follow)

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
397 44 68

Hey, @Paul-vd-Hout!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

This has been an ongoing error since the end of October. We are continuing to investigate the ongoing issue related to accessing Shopify storefronts through various ISPs in Italy. We thank you for your patience throughout this investigation. We have assembled a team who are continuing all efforts to resolve this issue with the various ISPs involved and can confirm this issue remains outside of Shopify. However, we now have a solution that is working for everyone. 

You will need to change the A-Record on your custom domain to point to 23.227.38.65 instead of 23.227.38.32. You do not need to make any alterations to your subdomains which use a CNAME instead, as these already use the required IP address.

There is no expected downtime while you are making this update and the new record propagates as .32 will continue to work for merchants/customers not using these Italian ISPs.

In order to change your third party domain records, you will need to: 

1. Log in to the account you have with your domain provider
2. Find your DNS settings. Look for your domain management area, DNS configuration, or similar.
3. Edit your A record to point to Shopify's alternative address 23.227.38.65
The domain settings panel might feature drop-downs or editable fields, or you might have to check boxes or edit a table.

- You need to: enter or choose the @ symbol, or A record

- Enter Shopify's IP address 23.227.38.65 as the destination for the A record.

4. Save the A Record (click Save, Save Zone File, Add Record, or similar).

If you need further assistance with this please contact your domain provider - who is best suited to assist you with changing your domain's A Record to 23.227.38.65.

Please note that with any DNS changes, it can take a bit for these changes to go through. Usually this process is pretty quick, however, at times, it can take up to 72 hours for the servers around the world to recognise the new DNS information. Due to this DNS propagation, you may not see an immediate result and you may need to wait a little bit.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you need any clarification at all. We are always here to help!

All the best,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks Lulu!

We've implemented the change, still need to hear in the next days if it works.

Question: could we have found any information on this?

Is there a page on which you guys tell us about current problems and known bugs you are working on?

I understand that such a page is not really good marketing for Shopify, but on the other hand informing your clients about issues IS a very positive thing.

Searching in your community without knowing if my issue is even mentioned there, is not really my hobby.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
397 44 68

Hi, @Paul-vd-Hout.

Glad you got that change done! You can always keep an eye on our Shopify status page here and subscribe to any new updates that happen also. 

All the best,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes