Large SKU count

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
20 0 4

Just looking for a bit of a sense check on something. We have an opportunity to create a store with several million skus (100,000s products with variations). 

I know Shopify has no limit on SKUs (except starter plan) but how's best to manage this number of skus especially linking them to live availability & updates from the vendors?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

I'm assuming you're pulling your product data from FTP(s)? I would use a multi-channel management platform like Ecomdash. You can set up automated inventory updates that go through the platform, and then automatically synch to your store. 

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
20 0 4

Thanks, I appreciate your recommendation.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
676 63 88

Hey, @jonmjones.

Elias here with Shopify Support. I'm happy to share a couple of suggestions here!

If the vendors you're working with has a custom solution (eg. integration or program) that can use Shopify's API, you may be able to sync their inventory with your store through private apps. Private apps can be integrated through a custom solution for managing orders, products, and inventory outside of Shopify. If you're working with different vendors, you can create separate private apps and generate credentials for each vendor.

As suggested by @verduredigital , you can also use a third-party apps to sync inventory. Stock Sync is a great option, as they support most feed formats and offer different options for syncing the inventory (eg. SFTP, receive email, online download, Google Spreadsheets, Dropbox, and more). If you need any assistance with their app, you can reach out directly to the developer through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page.

Though there isn't a limit on the number of SKUs you can have in your store. However, for the community members that's just joining the thread or new to Shopify, there is limit of 100 variants per product and each product can have up to 3 options. That being said, if you'd like to learn more about variants and limitations, we've got a guide that can help with considerations for variants

I hope this gives you a couple of solutions to look into. If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
20 0 4

Hi, is there an alternative for the initial upload for each vendor (say 1m skus each). Via API that would take 6 days per vendor!

Incremental updates via the api should be fine.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
676 63 88

Hey, @jonmjones.

You can use private apps with Shopify's API, a third-party inventory app, or importing/exporting with a CSV for the initial uploads. As that's a very large number of products, 1 million SKUs per vendor will take some time. However, it's recommended that you import in smaller batches. That way, if anything wrong with the import, it'll be easier for you to backtrack and resume importing. 

Let me know if this helps!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes