Linking to cdn.shopify images externally

Arite
2 0 0

Hello, I run a site which displays certain products from the websites of select local retailers, with their explicit permission to do so.

One of the retailer sites has recently switched to Shopify. We normally use a content scraper script that scrapes the product name, price, description, URL etc, and also the URLs of the product images to reproduce them in our site. But after switching to Shopify, our retailer client's images all have the cdn.shopify addresses.

Is it possible to link to these images from an external site like ours? How do we go about doing that? There are roughly 300 products we display from this particular retailer's site, so downloading the images of each product and uploading them in our site would be impractical.

Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA

0 Likes
gina-gregory
Shopify Expert
710 48 176

I don't think there's anything from stopping you from using them. The image URLs are publicly available.

On a side note, it might be helpful to get the product's info from the JSON returned by adding '.js' to any Shopify product page URL, rather than trying to scrape the page.

Arite
2 0 0

Thanks for the reply, gina. I'll try it out.

0 Likes