Is there a feature allowing admin login as customer on Shopify?

gustavo-garcia
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

Does anyone know if there a feature or application to allow admin to "log in as customer"?

we need the admin can log in as a customer in the frontend site.

Replies 84 (84)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @gustavo-garcia

Rae from Shopify here. Thank you for posting this question. 

To log in as a customer on your own storefront, I recommend creating a customer account for yourself on your website, just as a regular customer would. To see this option, make sure to have customer accounts enabled within your admin.

Creating this customer account will require you to use an email address and create a unique password tied to your customer account only. Once you're logged in to this account, you will be able to see the order history, as well as account details - such as saved addresses - tied to your account. 

Is this the type of setup you're looking for? 

Please feel free to share some additional information about why you're looking to login as a customer on your own site, and what details you're hoping to see when you do this. Once I have more context regarding this, I'll be glad to help further. 

I look forward to hearing back from you! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

gustavo-garcia
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

No, I refer to the Admin can log in with any customer account in the storefront. The feature is called "Login as customer". Example. In the customer list, the admin can click in one and then log in as a customer in the storefront. 

This app is for Magento(Login as customer ) but I'm looking for similar for Shopify.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @gustavo-garcia!

Thank you for getting back to me with these details. 

All of the information listed within a customer's account can be found directly inside the 'Customers'  section of your Shopify admin. This document outlines all of the details that are listed in this section. With this in mind, can you tell me a bit more about why you're looking for this specific option? 

While there isn't currently an app within the Shopify App Store that offers this functionality, I recommend speaking with Shopify Experts about this to find out if it's possible to have this feature built or coded into your site. Experts are third party developers and designers who are especially skilled in our platform, so they're the best people to discuss this with further. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with! 

Runeskovbo
Shopify Partner
12 0 9

Hi there,

I was searching for the same (I think) solution and just wanted to add a bit of background to our needs.

In my view this is mostly a B2B feature, where an area salesman or agent, can view a list of all the customers that belongs to his/her district og customer portfolio. Now, when the agent visits or is contacted by a customer, the agent can select that specific customer from the list and log in on the customers behalf and place an order.

This also means that each customer has to be linked/paired to a specific agent - maybe just trough "tags".

I haven't found this option in Shopify and our plan is therefore to create a small "login site" in front of Shopify, that the agent can log in to. We will then have an integration running, that syncs the customers between Shopify and this mini site and now we should be able to utilize "Multipass" (https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/plus/multipass) to allow the agent to log in as the user.

That's the rough plan at least 🙂

@Rae  Does this sound doable?

@gustavo-garcia Is that in line what what you need?

gustavo-garcia
Shopify Partner
14 0 6
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @Runeskovbo!

Thanks for reaching out to share these details. I can see how a feature like this would be beneficial for your business, as well as other businesses. 

It sounds like the setup you're working on is quite complex, and requires API functionality, which is outside of the scope of our general Support team. So, I recommend speaking with Shopify Experts further to find out if it's possible to create this on your storefront. However, please keep in mind that the Multipass API feature you mentioned is only available to Shopify Plus merchants. 

In the meantime, have you had to chance look into the B2B Private Store app? This app offers the ability to lock the store, and only display content to approved users. For your particular site, you may be able to use this app to create accounts for your agents, and this will allow only these individuals to login to your site and place orders on behalf of their clients. B2B Verify Customers is another app that offers similar functionality, and may work well for your business, too. However, these are both third party integrations, so if you have any questions or concerns about using these apps, please reach out to the app developers directly for more information. 

Feel free to reply back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns! 

Hamamao
Tourist
8 0 0

Hi Gustavo, have you found a solution to your issue? Log in as your customer.

Thanks

Oren

pinejewellery
Visitor
1 0 0

What use is there in getting customers to login?

AusBuzz
Tourist
3 0 8
Hi PineJewellery

The requirement is to allow an administrator logged into Shopify's backend
to act as if they were logged in as a customer.

We use a Shopify App called Discount Ninja - extremely flexible discounting
tool. However, if we initiate a cart or order on behalf of a customer, the
admin users does not get to see the discounts that apply to the customer
(Discount Ninja essentially allows individual pricing per customer).

Our requirement is to allow the administrator user to curate the customer
order process on behalf of the customer - let's say if they were phoning an
order in.
FloParis
Excursionist
14 0 11

Hi  All,

I do need the same requirement of "Connecting as user".

We have developped an App using the same credentials as Shopify and we do need a way to connect to the app as a customer to solve better helps our customers and solve potential app issues.

Shopify seems to be quite a big shot as we are a small startup.

Any idea or workaround ?

Regards

OdainS
Visitor
1 0 0

why the hell is it so hard to find a customer account  this is not a user friendly interface everytime i try to log in or shop on shopify it logs me in or signs me up as a store and thats really frustrating and dumb and no matter how many different way i type shopify customer log in it still sends me to the same place whats the point of having a store thats so hard to get to 

bleopold
Visitor
2 0 2

Did you find a solution to this? We need an identical functionality.

gustavo-garcia
Shopify Partner
14 0 6

@bleopold No, there is no app to do this. You need to use https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/plus/multipass

Runeskovbo
Shopify Partner
12 0 9

@bleopold - We are working on a solution to do this.

However, as mentioned before you have to be a Shopify Plus client to be able to do it.

Just out of curiosity, are you a Shopify Plus client? Trying to get a sense of the market here 🙂

bleopold
Visitor
2 0 2
No I’m not.
AusBuzz
Tourist
3 0 8

Please let me know when this is available and the cost.

Runeskovbo
Shopify Partner
12 0 9

Hi @AusBuzz 

We are building this as part of a B2B setup for a client, and the "login as customer" also known as "Impersonation" is gonna be step 2 of that process, so it's gonna be some months into the future.

Step 1 - if you are interested - is building true customer specific prices capabilities that tie into the clients ERP system, where the prices/discounts are managed.

Ghorton
Tourist
8 0 3
Hello. Also really keen to hear about this type of app.

We are interested in both the pricing solution and the ability to log in as a customer.

As a third part of our requirements we are trying to work out how to email people information stored in Shopify (Eg pricing or order status Information.

We want to use shopify as our internal customer service tool.
nsayo
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there - any luck on getting this up and running for general users? I know this comment was 3 years ago but it would be an amazing feature. Thanks!

Magefan
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

@nsayo , you can use Shopify Login As Customer App

If you are on the Shopify Plus plan which has a multipass feature, then the app will work best for you, just one click away from login into your customer account. Check the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh6kmkwcWSA .

If you don't have Shopify Plus, then you'll need to ask the customer to allow assistance or reset the customer's password and log in. Read more about Asking Customers to Allow Assistance using Login As Customer App.

CaraO
Visitor
1 0 3

I'm a new Shopify Customer, Shopify Plus to be exact and I need this functionality. We're currently in the middle of developing our new website as we're moving away from our current ecommerce platform. With our other platform, we're able to look up any customer and log in as them. This is highly needed as we often get calls from customers and need to login as them to help work them through it. Also, it's nice to login as specific customers in order to be able to see if any discounts we're offering to them are working. Please advise how to do this within Shopify Plus.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @CaraO

Rae from Shopify here.

Thank you for jumping in with these details. I appreciate you reaching out. 

At the moment, there isn't a specific built-in feature on our platform that allows merchants to log in as their customers. I understand you're looking to use this feature to troubleshoot, or test discount codes, and the best way to do this on Shopify is by creating a customer account for yourself, by following the steps that I mentioned here: 

To log in as a customer on your own storefront, I recommend creating a customer account for yourself on your website, just as a regular customer would. To see this option, make sure to have customer accounts enabled within your admin.

Creating this customer account will require you to use an email address and create a unique password tied to your customer account only. Once you're logged in to this account, you will be able to see the order history, as well as account details - such as saved addresses - tied to your account. 

Then, you can use this customer account to troubleshoot the customer experience from your end. 

However, it sounds like this is a key part of your workflow, so I also recommend reaching out to Shopify Experts to see if they're able to build a custom solution for this on your site. Experts are third party developers who are very skilled at building Shopify integrations, so they're a great resource to consider using for tasks like this. You can contact Experts via this link for more information. 

In the meantime, I can certainly share your feedback with our teams regarding this and ensure they're aware of how this impacts you and your business. If we make any changes regarding this on our platform, we will share these updates on our changelog, and our Announcements page, so please keep an eye out there. 

If there are any other Community members who would like to share feedback on this topic, please reply back to me here with your .myshopify.com URL and I'll be sure to share your thoughts regarding this with our teams. 

Thanks! 

AusBuzz
Tourist
3 0 8

@Rae 

Thanks for your reply. This is not for testing. It is to allow customer service team to place orders on behalf of customers.

It will be used operationally on a daily basis.

Setting up test accounts is not what's wanted. 

Ghorton
Tourist
8 0 3
Hello

We are looking for exactly the same requirement

FloParis
Excursionist
14 0 11

Hi,

I am fully in line with what is saying.

It's a common feature for any good Customer Service Team to be able to act as any specific customer, in order to ease a request initiated by the customer.

There is a lot of use case :

- Customer cannot place an order

- Customer cannot use a discount code

- Customer do not find a specific product

If we are not able to solve in a quick way the request,

it could simply result in the customer leaving our online shop, or even worse leaving a bad comment regarding our products/services/after-sell service.

Regards

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, everyone. 

Thank you for continuing to share your feedback on this. I appreciate that this impacts you all differently, and that each unique business will have a different use case for requesting this feature. 

With this in mind, I will continue to log each of your individual pieces of feedback with our teams. If you'd like to add new feedback to this thread, please reply to me here with the reason why you're seeking this feature, and also make sure to include your .myshopify.com URL in your reply. Once I've submitted your feedback, I will 'like' your comment to indicate that your thoughts have been passed along.

Please note, everything that has been posted in this thread up until this date has already been shared with our teams. So, if you've posted here previously, your feedback has already been added. 

Thanks! 

aaeglass
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Rae,

we also need this feature as we have had in Magento. For us, we ship heavy glass. We manually calculate the shipping for our wholesale customers due to multiple boxes. The customer fills their cart, calls us for quote and we then log into their cart to see what they have in order to give accurate quote. Is there a way in Shopify that we can look to see what customers have in their carts so we can quote their shipping?  This is important to us for our new Shopify store. Thank you. 

Bridget100
Shopify Partner
2 0 9

Hey - we use an app by pixel union that would likely help with what you are doing.  Customers submit orders that land in our draft orders for us to complete and turn into actual orders.  You can email the cart with the custom shipping rates for the customer to complete the purchase. We actually don’t do this but invoice the customer with net terms.

JLG1
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

We also need it... we have this solution in www.webmercs.com

We are a salesforce on 15 people and everybody use it.

This thread was started 6 months ago? Nothing happend yet?

Runeskovbo
Shopify Partner
12 0 9

Hi @JLG1 

Not from Shopify's side, as far as I'm aware.

As I wrote earlier, we at Novicell are builing an app that will enable this functionality. We have a rough proof of concept running now, but is has not been packaged as a selleable app yet. I expect that it'll be another month or two before we do. I'll make sure to post here when we have news, and maybe someone in here could even give us some feedback on functionality, when we are futher.

Best regards,
Rune Skovbo

Ghorton
Tourist
8 0 3

Rune

Would really love to see the use cases you are looking to cover off.  

For us we want to use shopify as a single point of internal customer service.

Phone Rings - Shopify opens on customer page.  WE can then them where existing orders are, what their price for s product is or the code - or even if they want to order we can go bang.

Likewise above for email and live chat enquiries.  

In a perfect world we could send the customer an email with the information requested as well.

MartianProducti
Tourist
3 0 4

This is standard for customer service. We had a customer reach out and ask about something in her shopping cart, which I can't see, so I can't really help her. No the abandoned cart section is not the same. In the multivendor marketplace it has this functionality. Just to be able to see what the customer is seeing is very important. 

chegar
Tourist
10 0 12

We could also use this for B2B sales. Magento, Woocommerce and Bigcommerce offer this. Simply login as customer and complete an order. Catch up to the competition Shopify. 

WebEx
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

We also need this functionality urgently!

Tynvie_byWil
Visitor
1 0 1

Are there any updates yet? As I know at the beginning like 3/4 years before this function is available but I just found it had gone and I need it urgently by now! I can reset a customer's password on my own and just let the customer know the updated password afterward. Don't know why the function was removed. 

plantsite
Visitor
1 0 2

Is there a solution to this yet? We are also looking for the same solution.

WebEx
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

As far as i've understood the 3 options are to ask the customer for their password, or use a test account, or build a custom solution that handles the login for customers

Runeskovbo
Shopify Partner
12 0 9

We have finished the Impersonation app now, that allows you to log in on behalf of your customers. I'll see to it that we record a demo, so you can see how it works.

It does, however, still require a PLUS license and it is a custom app that we would have to help install on your site - so cannot be found on the app store.

JLG1
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Name on app?

Runeskovbo
Shopify Partner
12 0 9

No name (yet, at least) and as I wrote, since it's a custom app and it requires Shopify Plus, it does not exist on the Shopify app store.

JLG1
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Maybe stupid question; But I can choose between 3 different shopfiy packages BASIC 29dollar per month - SHOPIFY 79 dollar per month (That I have) - ADVANCED SHOPIFY 299 dollar per month….
But there is no SHOPIFY PLUS

chegar
Tourist
10 0 12
Shopify Plus $2500+
JLG1
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Wow..... I have spent thousands of dollars on this site. Now all is out the window because this solution is useless without PLUS (KRAKEN app is doing the same, but did not work… now I understand …). Strange there is nothing covering this subject when Shopify want you as a client. You buy app after app... page design etc etc... and suddenly you must have PLUS that cost 40% of your turnover. Cry....

WebEx
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

Question, why does this only work with Plus, not with the other packages?

Runeskovbo
Shopify Partner
12 0 9

There's a Shopify feature called "Multipass" that allows us to to work with the login. This features is unfortunately only found on Shopify Plus - at least for now. 

Ghorton
Tourist
8 0 3
How do I get a demo
WebEx
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

@LG1 you also have to wonder how important it really is to login as a customer... Its a very nice to have feature but is it really the end of the world if you cannot do this?

JLG1
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Everytime we place an order (mostly Resellers), so they will keep sending us email orders. The problem is that when we do the orders through "draft orders" the clients discount wil not be added and the orders are transfered to Pairy.dk, and from Pairy we send them either to e-conomic (Danish company) or Tripletex (Norwegian company). Then we have a lot of manual job to do.... When shopify don't have anything between 299 - 2000 dollar ++++++ all the apps, you have to do 1 million dollar or more in turnover online before SHopify Plus is any point . For this price you have many other Norwegian solutions doing what we need. I thought Shopify most expensive monthly fee was 299 dollar ++++ all the apps. My mistake... so looking for a different solution.

WebEx
Shopify Partner
26 0 8

This is exactly my issue with it. We are looking now at trello.com, a chat support app that allows to mirror the customers display for support. Not ideal, but it helps.