Solved

Main photo on a product with variants

MRogerGeorge
Visitor
2 0 1

Is there a way to select which photo is the main one associated with a product that has variants? Our store has products for which we have photos of all the variants as a group as well as shots of each variant singularly. We'd prefer the group shot to be what customers see first on the page, but the default seems to be the photo set for the first variant. How do we make the group shot the lead without removing the photos from the variants?

Accepted Solution (1)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 286

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @MRogerGeorge. Welcome to the Community. There is a way to do this, via a theme code customization!

What theme are you using? Are you comfortable with coding? We have a tutorial for Showing a featured image until a variant is selected that walks you through the steps if you’d like to give it a go yourself. However, if you would prefer to have assistance with it and are using a free Shopify-made theme, then our Theme department may be able to help. Please submit a customization request by logging in via the Help Center and connecting with a Support Advisor via live chat, callback or email to get started.

If you are not using a Shopify-made theme, then I recommend hiring a Shopify Expert. They’ll be able to implement it for you. 

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 286

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @MRogerGeorge. Welcome to the Community. There is a way to do this, via a theme code customization!

What theme are you using? Are you comfortable with coding? We have a tutorial for Showing a featured image until a variant is selected that walks you through the steps if you’d like to give it a go yourself. However, if you would prefer to have assistance with it and are using a free Shopify-made theme, then our Theme department may be able to help. Please submit a customization request by logging in via the Help Center and connecting with a Support Advisor via live chat, callback or email to get started.

If you are not using a Shopify-made theme, then I recommend hiring a Shopify Expert. They’ll be able to implement it for you. 

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

MRogerGeorge
Visitor
2 0 1
Thanks Helen! I'll give it a shot and get back to you if I can't make it
work.
maryandmaeco
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello,

I am also having the same problem and when I head to that tutorial it says it is only for vintage Shopify themes and doesn't apply to the new 2.0 stores. I have just changed over to the Dawn 2.0 theme, do you have any information for how to do it there?

Thanks so much!

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 286

Hey, @maryandmaeco! Thanks for reaching out.

While there currently isn’t a tutorial available for showing a featured image for the Online Store 2.0, we’d be happy to check in with our Theme Department to see if this is a customization they’d be able to help you with. 

We’ll need to authenticate your account in order to do so. At this time, we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community therefore, please reach out through live chat, email, or callback and log in to your account to create a support request for this. Thanks!

hopps
Tourist
44 0 1

Hi there! Here's an answer to your question:https://app.hopps.io/videos/how-do-i-select-which-photo-is-the-main-photo-associated-with-a-product-.... If it doesn't make sense or you still have questions, one of the experts can walk you through the solution.