Making A Shopify Cart From Scratch

kuduzovic
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi, so I'm creating a shopify them from scratch. I've learn quite a few things in the past like making sections and snippets, scss, and stuff like that. So I've looked on the internet for a tutorial on how to create a shopify cart from scratch and there is almost no videos that explain it very well. So I have question on where could I start to learn that, are there any blogs or tutorials on how to do it, or is it just how you do it with every other online store but you just need to include some liquid. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

0 Likes

@kuduzovic 

Besides Shopify knowledge per se, when it comes to theme development, you'll need to have a vast fluency with HTML/CSS/Javascript already. Knowing how to code is essential to develop a theme. It seems to me you're relatively new to front-end coding in general, so I suggest that you study it more thorough before diving into Shopify.

That said, this can potentially be a good start when coding carts: CartJS. Although, ideally, you'd probably want to code your own custom library to avoid relying on jQuery since it's not much of a necessity nowadays.

Kind regards,
Diego 

◦ Problem Solved? ✔️ Please click on Accept as Solution and like.
◦ Using a free theme? Improve it with copy/paste code snippets clicking here.
◦ Looking to hire an experienced developer? Same day response: ezfycode@gmail.com.
0 Likes
kuduzovic
Tourist
6 0 1
Thank you so much for the reply, I already have some knowledge in HTML and
CSS, but when it comes to Javascript I get lost, so im probably going to
learn a bit more about HTML and CSS, then I'll move on to Javascript and
try to learn the most basic and the most important stuff. But still thank
you for pointing me in the right direction.
0 Likes

@kuduzovic 

You're welcome. Do study it, it's a very rewarding path in multitudinous ways, I surely recommend you to keep going. Personally I started my journey with this Udemy course, this teacher is pretty good. (not affiliated by any means)

This particular course is probably a bit outdated by now, but he always uploads new ones. Choosing a teacher boils down to personal choice anyway, but if I may suggest something is to stay away from youtube and stick with a course that walks you through a solid start-to-finish path, regardless of it being a paid or free one, though it's almost inexorable that the paid ones tend to be better.

I think of coding as learning a language: you can memorize 1000 different phrases in Japanese and somehow be able to speak them ok-ish, but you'll never be able to speak it fluently nor express yourself. It's important to learn the foundations: verbs, grammar, etc, so you can think for yourself and formulate your own sentences.

In the analogy above, Youtube is equal to the phrases: it will teach you lots of little things, but you'll never truly learn how to think for yourself. I don't mean that it's completely useless, but it may be of greater use after you're already somewhat fluent/proficient with the language. 

Just my two cents on this matter, I hope it makes some sense or, hopefully, brings some clarity. 

Wishing you the best of luck.

Kind regards,
Diego 

◦ Problem Solved? ✔️ Please click on Accept as Solution and like.
◦ Using a free theme? Improve it with copy/paste code snippets clicking here.
◦ Looking to hire an experienced developer? Same day response: ezfycode@gmail.com.
0 Likes
kuduzovic
Tourist
6 0 1
I signed up for skillshare but honestly the things i learned there were so
poor its like i didnt learn anything. If im being honest the only thing i
learned is when to use {{}} and when to use {% %} which is nothing compared
to how much there is to learn. But i will try and find better courses that
teach a lot more, and thank you for the suggestions.