Solved

Migrate store without losing everything

NormaRodrigues
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there,

I have a running store www.nrstoreonline.com and I am creating a new one (another name) at another domain. Instead of creating a store from scratch I want to transfer the theme (i´ve bought a paid one), pages, the apps, and the collections and all the configuration I have done there. 

Is it possible to do so? I have looked other topics and didnt find one like this.

Thank you very much!

Accepted Solution (1)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @NormaRodrigues.

This is Elias here from Shopify Support. I'd be to offer some suggestions for migrating your shop!

You can use our backup and duplicate guide to export your store's data, and then you can import the data to your new store. You can export your existing theme, products, customers, orders, gift card codes, discount codes, and financial data, then import them to your new store. We've also got guides to help with uploading the theme to your admin, importing products, and importing contact lists. However, it's important to note that there are some content that can't be exported, such as your pages, blogs, and store policies. For this type of data, you can simply copy and paste between your shops to duplicate the content. As for your apps and collections, they also can't be exported or transferred, but they can be easily re-installed from our App store or recreated manually.  

It's also important to note that when you buy a third-party theme, that theme is licensed only to the store that you originally buy it for. Though you can still import the theme to your store, the theme would be unlicensed and ineligible for support or future updates. That being said, if you're planning to close the original store - you can transfer your theme's license to your new store. Our Support team would be happy to assist you with transferring your theme through live chat, email, or callback. To create a support request, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account.

Alternatively, you can also use a third-party app, such as Rewind Copy, to duplicate your store's data and manage multiple stores. If you need any help with this app, the app developers are always available to assist you - you can reach out directly to the developer through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

I've also taken an opportunity to look at www.nrstoreonline.com and I think you've done a great job! The website looks professional and I'm not seeing much that I can suggest to improve on. I understand why you need to transfer your theme and apps, as there's a lot of elements and apps running on your store. However, it's worth noting that too many apps can impede the loading speed of your website - so it's best to remove any apps you're not using. Also, if you're creating a new store because you want a new domain, then you don't actually need to create a new store - you can also consider purchasing a new custom domain for your current store and use that as your primary domain

That being said, was there a specific reason you're creating a new store?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @NormaRodrigues.

This is Elias here from Shopify Support. I'd be to offer some suggestions for migrating your shop!

You can use our backup and duplicate guide to export your store's data, and then you can import the data to your new store. You can export your existing theme, products, customers, orders, gift card codes, discount codes, and financial data, then import them to your new store. We've also got guides to help with uploading the theme to your admin, importing products, and importing contact lists. However, it's important to note that there are some content that can't be exported, such as your pages, blogs, and store policies. For this type of data, you can simply copy and paste between your shops to duplicate the content. As for your apps and collections, they also can't be exported or transferred, but they can be easily re-installed from our App store or recreated manually.  

It's also important to note that when you buy a third-party theme, that theme is licensed only to the store that you originally buy it for. Though you can still import the theme to your store, the theme would be unlicensed and ineligible for support or future updates. That being said, if you're planning to close the original store - you can transfer your theme's license to your new store. Our Support team would be happy to assist you with transferring your theme through live chat, email, or callback. To create a support request, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account.

Alternatively, you can also use a third-party app, such as Rewind Copy, to duplicate your store's data and manage multiple stores. If you need any help with this app, the app developers are always available to assist you - you can reach out directly to the developer through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

I've also taken an opportunity to look at www.nrstoreonline.com and I think you've done a great job! The website looks professional and I'm not seeing much that I can suggest to improve on. I understand why you need to transfer your theme and apps, as there's a lot of elements and apps running on your store. However, it's worth noting that too many apps can impede the loading speed of your website - so it's best to remove any apps you're not using. Also, if you're creating a new store because you want a new domain, then you don't actually need to create a new store - you can also consider purchasing a new custom domain for your current store and use that as your primary domain

That being said, was there a specific reason you're creating a new store?

NormaRodrigues
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Elias,

First I would to thank you for such complete answer! Now it seems clear what I should do. That was better than a tutorial. 👏👏👏

Thank you also for taking a look at my store and point out what I should improve! I took a look at my speed test and its really not doing very good, and I will do what you say and take a look in the apps, to remove some. It really took a lot of effort to build a store that looked a little professional, because it was our first store, and we also did all the banner and everything. We bought a Canva course and learned from zero. Pretty hard, but we didnt need to relly on designers and we could change everytime we wanted. Its our second month running.

I am changing the store to use a more stronger (more convincing) name. The actual name its kind of abstract to the customers, so some of them may not feel related or dont trust on it, and we are focusing in only two types of products (earphones and smartwatches). Feels right?

I didnt know it could be done, but keeping the same store and changing only the main domain would be the best and easiest solution I guess (and good for keeping the purchase data), I am just worried about Facebook ADs if it would create some kind of problem, being the name of the store in shopify having a different name that the destination page. Does the facebook have this kind of access or they only check the main domain? 

Thank you very much! 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hi, @NormaRodrigues.

Thank you for following up and sharing the details!

I do think earphones and smartwatches fit well together for a niche store, as they compliment each other in the smartphone space. However, just to clarify, were you planning to change store name or change domain URL?

If you're looking to change the store name, you can always do that through your General settings. However, changing the Shopify URL(shop.myshopify.com) will require you to create a separate account, as the Shopify URL can't be edited. While you're able to choose the URL when creating Facebook ads, but they may sometimes still read your Shopify URL as opposed to your custom domain. For example, you might notice your Shopify URL appear somewhere on your Facebook Pixel settings - even though customers can't see this. As a result, I'm not sure whether creating a separate store would make a difference or how this impacts your existing setup.   

That being said, since you can always create a new store at any time - it might be best for you to buy a new custom domain and change the primary domain for your existing store first. This way, you can test with Facebook ads and make your plans accordingly.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

lestat1
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there,

Thank you both for this thread - it's very useful.

We are rebranding and changing the domain as part of this.

We are considering starting a fresh new ShopifyURL and I wanted to ask what are the pros/cons of starting fresh vs. just changing the domain on our existing ShopifyURL?

Thanks in advance.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hi, @lestat1.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I understand you're looking to rebrand and change your domain. The most common concern with rebranding and starting fresh is that you would have to start over with building the SEO ranking for your store. However, by connecting a new custom domain to your existing store and simply changing the store name, you would be able to keep your current SEO ranking by submitting your sitemap and you also wouldn't need to transfer all the content. That being said, this decision may be best determined based on how long you've had your existing shop as well.

I'd love to know if this helps you with deciding whether to start fresh or change the domain for your existing shop. Keep me posted!