Mixing Digital and Physical Products

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Hi,

My store has certain products which are digital and we use the shopify app for them. Other products are physical. The problem is if I have a digital and a physical item in the cart together then when I get to checkout I see the following error (see attached screenshot). To be clear, shipping is allowed to the United States and if I remove one product or the other then there is no error. How can I get this fixed?

Thanks for the help!

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 21.25.19.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
573 45 130

Hi, @friendesign!

Julie here from Shopify Support. 

Thanks for sharing a screenshot of the error you're experiencing. You can most definitely use Shopify to sell both physical and digital products, but you will just need to ensure that your physical products are actually marked as physical products, and that you have a shipping zone for the location you are attempting to ship to. You'll also need to ensure that the product is included in a shipping profile. Most often, this will be the General shipping profile.  

To be certain, is the product you added to your cart marked as a physical product? You can confirm this by viewing the product directly in your admin, where you will then see your product details, along with a Shipping section. Within this section, you'll see an option for This product is a physical product, which is the setting for whether a product needs to be shipped. Is this checked or unchecked? Also, is this particular product in stock?

I tested this out in my own test store, adding both a physical product and digital product to my cart, then proceeding through the checkout. Doing so, I was able to proceed to the shipping page with no problem, so if your product details are correct, then it sounds like this could be an issue with your shipping settings. 

If you head to Settings > Shipping, do you have a shipping zone for the country you were attempting to ship to? If the country is not included in your shipping zone, then you will not be able to ship to that particular location, which could result in the error message you've shared. Also, is the physical product in your cart also included in any of your shipping profiles

Please let me know what you find once you double check both your product details and shipping settings. If you are needing further assistance, I'd be happy to help.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3
Hi Julie,

Thanks for the reply. My physical products are marked as physical products. I double checked. And the shipping is correct as well. I can add a physical product to my cart without any problem and everything works. The problem is if I add a digital product on top of the physical one. That’s when I get the error below.

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
573 45 130

Thanks for following up!

Are you using the Digital Downloads app by Shopify? If so, we have some help docs on this particular app you can find here. Is the digital product or variant synced with the app you're using, and was a digital file uploaded for the product or variant in question? You can find out by heading to the app, then browsing the products listed there. When you select one of the digital products, you'll be able to see whether or not is is synced. Lastly, have you tested this with any other digital products in your store?

If you can pass along links to the products you are trying to add to your cart, I'd be happy to take a look here on my end!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3
Hi, I actually managed to figure it out with Shopify support in the end. Thanks for your help.
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same issue, it won't allow me to combine physical and digital products during check out, it shows the same error. I already contacted Shopify support but they haven't been able to fix this, Would you mind letting me know how they were able to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 3

Hi Karen, our problem was that the "location" from which the digital prints are sent is the default location that you set. We had turned off shipping from this location since we weren't actually shipping anything from it. So we just turned on shipping for that location and made it free. That fixed the problem for us. Let me know if that works for you!

1 Like