Multi currency exchange rate API issue

Vincinerate
Excursionist
20 1 2

Hi all,

I have Apps developed based on my Shopify site. I've Multi-Currency on site/app with my own sets of exchange rates. However at the checkout page in the Apps, the converted prices (ie, local currency into USD) are always inflated. Only in the checkout page of the app. Seems like the prices are converted via Shopify's exchange rate instead of those I set. 

Anyone encounters this or has had this resolved before? Spent alot of time talking to developers of App/Multi currency & none of them came out with a solution etc. 

Regards

Vincent

0 Likes
florinanghel
Shopify Partner
102 15 17

I am not sure what the app you use does but it looks like the app has no control over checkout and shopify currency conversion is used at that point. It sounds like you activated both shopify multiple currencies and installed  an app for currency conversion, that might not be a good idea, see the limitations here: 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/shopify-payments/multi-currency#limitations

Shopify multiple currency has support for custom exchange rates as well, so you could maybe stick with that.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/shopify-payments/multi-currency/conversions#manual-conve...

0 Likes
Vincinerate
Excursionist
20 1 2

Hi Florinanghel,

I'm using Bold Multi-Currency. My site is not supported by Shopify payment due to my location - so I don't have any access to Shopify's multiple currencies nor have I set any of such. 

So I have my local default currency. In my Apps, multi currency works in the checkout pages (I have 2 other currencies, USD/Thai Baht), so if I toggle to USD, I still get the USD price in the checkout page but the price of product will be higher. 

Regards

Vincent

0 Likes
florinanghel
Shopify Partner
102 15 17

Hmmm, are you using bold cashier for checkout? In that case you must ask bold since that isn't really shopify. Even in the bold multi currency demo, checkout currency conversion works only in their checkout and not in shopify's native checkout

The ways I know of to have currency conversion on checkout are shopify multiple currencies and maybe in a custom checkout liquid on plus. If you are using the native checkout and this works then that is interesting and I would also want to know more about how that works

0 Likes
Vincinerate
Excursionist
20 1 2

Correct, Shopify doesn't really allow any multi-currency to work in the Checkout page in Shopify SITE. I'm aware of that. So any price converted will becomes the default shop currency at the Checkout page.

But the issue is with my Apps - not Site. My Apps are integrated with Bold Multi currency & multi-currency works in the checkout page - just that the price becomes higher at checkout page - hence my question here. 

I don't know the technical terms/codings etc behind all these, thats why I'm trying my best to describe the issues in layman terms. But I've spoke with my App developers, they said my Apps are a webview based on my site so I have to ask Bold/Shopify. Bold said everything is running fine (which is true, everything is working fine in each page). So I guess its down to Shopify hence my post here to try my luck in finding a solution. And the difference in pricing really seem to be due to difference in exchange rates between Bold & Shopify. 

I think there's a similar thread https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/Multi-currency-exchange-rate-API-issue/m-p/991476 - but no response to that as well. 

Regards

Vincent

0 Likes
florinanghel
Shopify Partner
102 15 17

Could you post a link to the website?

0 Likes