Multilingual setting configuration

Morecoffee
1 0 0

Hi there, I hope to find any kind of help with this task, thanks in advance!!

I'm trying to set what I consider a standard multilingual configuration for my new Shopify store, but actually I can't.

This is my current setting in Shopify:

- I have a dot com domain "website.com" for example.

- Default language: English

- Other languages published: German, French, Italian, Spanish

- Geolocation APP installed in order to allow users to switch language and currency.

- No any translation app installed at the moment.

Now: as result of the above configuration, I have 5 different URL

1) website.com - English language

2) website.com/it - Italian language

3) website.com/de - German language

4) website.com/es - Spanish language

5) website.com/fr - French language

My question is: how can I set the "website.com/en" subdirectory ALSO for the primary language?

Basically, I would like to prevent users for visiting the "website.com" domain without any subdirectory. 

Is it possible using and APP maybe?

Thanks!!

0 Likes
MichaelGeo
Explorer
191 3 13

Hi! You may create a subdirectory for your English version webpage, and the correlated URL would be website.com/en. Like geolocation app you use directing  visitors to correct website URLs, you could set up redirecting rules for your visitors in English speaking markets to website.com/en, instead of website.com. In this case, if you visitor is in the US, and he goes to website.com, it will auto direct him to website.com/en seamlessly.

Regarding geolocation app, you may potentially use Geo Redirect. You can easily set up redirecting rules within a few steps. No code is necessary. The service will generate the Javascript code for you to add to your website. Shopify platform is perfectly supported.

Hope it helps.

0 Likes
MACRORY
Excursionist
27 2 4

I think you can't not set a handle for your default theme language. What you can do is in Online Store>Navigation>URL Redirect .

Set up a url redirect from

yourdomain.com/en

to

yourdomain.com/

0 Likes
Andy1984
3 0 0

Hi @MichaelGeo and @MACRORY 

I have the same issue, and i was trying your solution but I have a question for you:

if I set a redirect rule (Online Store>Navigation>URL Redirect) from website.com to website.com/en (english is the primary language of the website), if the user change language selecting german for example, the URL will be: website.com/en/de ? And it doesn't seem a good solution :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks for the support!!!

0 Likes
MACRORY
Excursionist
27 2 4

Hi @Andy1984 

You are not setting a redirect from website.com to website.com/en.

Correct Solution:

url redirect website.com/en to website.com.

Regards to your concern, your locale selector should never append /en or /de to your current url. 

0 Likes
Andy1984
3 0 0

Hi @MACRORY thanks a lot for your support, but i really do not understand the solution proposed, sorry and thanks for you patience!!

My current configuration:

site.com (italian language as default)

site.com/en

site.com/de

etc...

I reached this configuration simply by installing the new languages from backend, no app needed.

Desired configuration:

site.com/it (italian language as default)

site.com/en

site.com/de

etc...

Now: how can I reach this solution by adding a redirecting rule from site.com/it TO site.com as you mentioned? I can not understand :(

0 Likes
MACRORY
Excursionist
27 2 4

@Andy1984 

You could set a url redirect from website.com/it to website.com/

Shopify do not allow user to create something from root path. So you can't have website.com/it if your default language is italian. However, you could allow user to access website.com/it by redirect them back to website.com/ so they will be seeing your website in italian.

0 Likes
Andy1984
3 0 0

Thanks @MACRORY , now it's completely clear for me, but actually it's not what I want to achieve unfortunately :(

I don't need to simply redirect users, but I need to have the exact same URL configuration for all the languages of the website, primary language included.

So,  I'd like to have the country code subfolder ALSO for the primary language, not as a simply redirect, but as a real subfolder as well as for the other languages. I think that this is the most common configuration (in terms of SEO too), and I'm quite surprised that it's impossible to achieve this result, even if an app was needed.

0 Likes
MACRORY
Excursionist
27 2 4

Shopify multilingual support SEO by having something like this

<link rel="alternate" hreflang="zh-CN" href="https://website.com/zh-cn">

<link rel="de" hreflang="de" href="https://website.com/de">

Search engine will detect your site by submit one single sitemap, and this is the latest and best approach for multilingual SEO. I can't see any reason you need a subfolder for SEO, since you are already using the latest SEO method from Shopify. Having customizing subfolders for every users will increase shopify server load and complexity. If you wants to have subfolders you should consider self-hosting your site.

0 Likes
Erpros
1 0 0

@Andy1984, I am planning to use a similar configuration. Can I ask which Multilingual app you are using? Thanks in advance 

0 Likes