Multiple Order Creation Webhooks

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I would like to trigger two webhooks upon order creation - one (existing) to handle processing and fulfillment processes, and another (new) involving a completely separate, otherwise independent process. Is there any known risk associated with two webhooks of the same type, pointing to different URLs?

Though this would be the simplest option in our instance, potentially creating issues with our existing fulfillment process is something we'd like to avoid at all costs.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1838 173 595

Creating multiple notification for the same event isn't the risky part. It's what the subscribers of those events do with them that could potentially cause issues. Webhooks are just like the town crier - they announce stuff has happened and nothing more. What you do with that is up to you - so no, no risk creating multiple webhooks for same event for different subscribers, but yes, there may be issues depending on how you handle these on your subscribers' end.

Hope that made sense - sometimes confuse myself too :P

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
1 Like
2 0 0

Thanks so much, Karl. Makes perfect sense. My only concern was potentially creating some sort of race condition (for lack of a better term) on Shopify's end, attempting to fire the same event simultaneously. My assumption was that, given Shopify allows the creation of multiple webhooks of the same type, this wouldn't be the case. I've assumed many things in the past however and, of course, been incorrect. Just wanted some insight from someone with more knowledge on the subject than myself, which you've provided.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond. Many thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1838 173 595

Sure, no problem. It's perfectly fine to do so and in fact, sometimes merchants may have multiple apps installed that each created webhooks subscriptions for themselves on the same event i.e. orders/create. Bare in mind, IIRC you cannot create more than 1 subscription per event for a given channel i.e. if you have an app and that app already created orders/create subscription, won't be able to have a second one.

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
0 Likes