Solved

Multiple pickup options from one store

Sam141
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there

Our business sells car parts where they are either installed by the customer (and either collected or shipped direct to the customer), or installed in our workshop.  We would like customers to be able to select an option where they can opt to have the part installed in our workshop.  In this scenario we would take the payment for the part straight away, and invoice the customer for the installation after the job is complete. 

Does anyone know if there is the ability to add another pick up option without another store location to cater to products that need installation?  When a customer is at the cart selecting the delivery method, we would like the options to appear as:

- shipping

- pick up

- install and pick up

Currently, we are having trouble achieveing this as we cannot add another 'pick up' option (unless we have multiple stores).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Accepted Solution (1)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Sam,

June here from Shopify. I'd love to chat about your options and appreciate all the details you've provided!

Based on what you've shared, it sounds like you're looking to offer your customers the choice of any of these three delivery methods for all of your products, is that correct? And are you currently using our local pickup setup at all, or are you relying only on shipping rates built into your shipping profile?

As of right now does your business only have the one location?

I know you've mentioned that you're not too keen to create multiple locations, so what I can do is share some of the various approaches businesses have been known to take to achieve what you're describing - and we can chat about which option suits your own business best.

(1) Use Shopify's local pickup:

• Visit Settings > Locations to create a second location, "Pickup & install".
  • Next, head to Settings > Shipping > Local pickup and enable this new location for pickup. Make sure your original location is selected too if it isn't already.
  • Under "Order ready for pickup notification", you can even clarify your invoicing policy for installations.
  • The most important thing to keep in mind here is that you'll want to ensure all your products are in stock at each of these locations, so that your customers always have the option to choose the "location" (delivery method) that best suits them.

(2) Create custom shipping rates:

• In your general shipping profile, create two new custom shipping rates. One will be "Pickup (no installation required)", the other will be "Pickup (with installation)". Feel free to come up with your own, way better names!
  • The beauty of this option is that these names won't affect your location(s) whatsoever.
  • In the details of these shipping rates, you can choose the cost and ignore the option to add conditions.
  • It's worth pointing out that this approach doesn't work for everyone, since some businesses find that customers (intentionally or not) choose the incorrect shipping rate to complete their checkout. However, since it sounds like you're going to be invoicing your customers individually for installation costs, I'd argue that this wouldn't be a factor and might actually be a nice fit for you.

It's possible that a third scenario could involve a cart page add-on where you invite your customer to add "Installation" to their order. However since you're not looking to add any installation fee to their order at this point in the transaction, this wouldn't be my first choice. If it's ever possible to achieve something using the options built into your Shopify admin without introducing a third party app, it can be nice to keep it simple.

Definitely let me know if you have any further questions or hesitation around any of these options, since what you're describing is absolutely possible. Thanks again for your question!

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Sam,

June here from Shopify. I'd love to chat about your options and appreciate all the details you've provided!

Based on what you've shared, it sounds like you're looking to offer your customers the choice of any of these three delivery methods for all of your products, is that correct? And are you currently using our local pickup setup at all, or are you relying only on shipping rates built into your shipping profile?

As of right now does your business only have the one location?

I know you've mentioned that you're not too keen to create multiple locations, so what I can do is share some of the various approaches businesses have been known to take to achieve what you're describing - and we can chat about which option suits your own business best.

(1) Use Shopify's local pickup:

• Visit Settings > Locations to create a second location, "Pickup & install".
  • Next, head to Settings > Shipping > Local pickup and enable this new location for pickup. Make sure your original location is selected too if it isn't already.
  • Under "Order ready for pickup notification", you can even clarify your invoicing policy for installations.
  • The most important thing to keep in mind here is that you'll want to ensure all your products are in stock at each of these locations, so that your customers always have the option to choose the "location" (delivery method) that best suits them.

(2) Create custom shipping rates:

• In your general shipping profile, create two new custom shipping rates. One will be "Pickup (no installation required)", the other will be "Pickup (with installation)". Feel free to come up with your own, way better names!
  • The beauty of this option is that these names won't affect your location(s) whatsoever.
  • In the details of these shipping rates, you can choose the cost and ignore the option to add conditions.
  • It's worth pointing out that this approach doesn't work for everyone, since some businesses find that customers (intentionally or not) choose the incorrect shipping rate to complete their checkout. However, since it sounds like you're going to be invoicing your customers individually for installation costs, I'd argue that this wouldn't be a factor and might actually be a nice fit for you.

It's possible that a third scenario could involve a cart page add-on where you invite your customer to add "Installation" to their order. However since you're not looking to add any installation fee to their order at this point in the transaction, this wouldn't be my first choice. If it's ever possible to achieve something using the options built into your Shopify admin without introducing a third party app, it can be nice to keep it simple.

Definitely let me know if you have any further questions or hesitation around any of these options, since what you're describing is absolutely possible. Thanks again for your question!

Sam141
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi June

Thanks for your reply.  

Can I add a second local pick up (which we will call pick up & install) without creating a second store location?  

Thanks

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi Sam,

Great question. Since each pickup destination is attached to a store location, you would  be required to create a new location in your admin (Settings > Locations > Add location) in order to offer "Pickup & Install" at checkout.

It's worth noting though that you can use the exact same physical address for this "new" location, so there shouldn't be any confusion on the customer's end around where they are expected to pick up their order - with or without installation.

Are you hesitant about adding a new location from an inventory perspective or more from a customer experience point of view?