NOTE TO SHOPIFY: My Shopify website needs image links to meet ADA compliance

Solved

DEAR SHOPIFY:

My son-in-law used Wave on chrome to view my Shopify website – it identified one error –

My collections don’t have text in the image links to meet ADA compliance. 

He explained a little about what that means to me... that people who depend on their iPad/iPhone/Computer “speaking” to them... well, my website collections links won’t work for them.

I used the “Simple” template to create my shop (after trying several)... can you please TWEAK your templates for ADA compliance? 

I’m almost ready to launch my art website...

https://camille-engel-fine-art.myshopify.com

Password twiklo   

Thanks!

Camille Engel Fine Art
Passionate oil paintings with rich lighting, color and detail.
0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Partner
1843 171 542

I'd think the Shopify themes are quite accessible as is. Shopify are committed to being fully WCAG compliant by 2021 if I remember correctly, but I wouldn't expect any immediate action for themes. One must realise that compliance in this case is the merchants' responsibility i.e. being WCAG compliant, or ADA of you're worried about litigation in the US, or GDPR if you're worried about litigation in EU etc.

Either way, the Simple theme as is out of the box has one error that can be easily fixed and only affect mobile view. The search icon link doesn't contain text. Add something like

<span class="hidden">Search</span>

and call it a day.

Best wishes!

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
1 Like
Highlighted
Thanks so much Karl. I will ask my son-in-law if this makes sense and if he can do it for me… (Assuming it’s important.)

Me? I am clueless. I had mini anxiety attacks simply trying to figure out this template to build the store.

You are wonderful ! 😊
Camille Engel Fine Art
Passionate oil paintings with rich lighting, color and detail.
0 Likes