Need to Update Quantities for Import on CSV

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 1 4

I want to use a CSV to update quantities on multiple different products but I read that I cannot update quantities on a product CSV, only on the Inventory CSV which is almost impossible to find a) the template or b) figure out how the heck to export the inventory for a SPECIFIC group of anything! 

I swear I was able to do this last week and this HAS to be a new change because I've been working with importing the product CSV for a few months now. I have product groups with HUNDREDS of products that will need to be updated, I really need to be able to do this through an import, not manually on the bulk editor.

Where can I find the CSV template for inventory updates?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
41 4 9

This is an accepted solution.

I also encountered this problem today. Upon digging more, I found out that this happened as I enabled local delivery. Below is the way I solved it.

Step 1 : Exported the inventory sheet from inventory section here: https://care-n-cure-pharmacy.myshopify.com/admin/products/inventory

Step 2 : Update the excel sheet that we received with new inventory quantities.

Step 3: Imported the revised sheets and inventory was perfectly updated.

This should also work for you. Please do let me know if you need any more help.

Shan | www.linkedin.com/in/shansalam

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 1 4
I cannot just export my inventory and update it, I have over 10,000
products so without the ability to sort and export one product type or
group, as I can do on the Products page, I'm sort of at a loss. I DID find
a list of the fields I need on my inventory CSV and copied those FROM MY
PRODUCT list export and then uploaded on the inventory page and it updated
the numbers.

This is completely silly though, why can't I a) update it from the product
page or b) use the same CSV without having to copy and paste certain fields
from the product export anyway?

Perhaps we'll never know.

Also, Shopify COULD just give me the same search and filter options I have
on the Products page so that I can easily export the items I need to
update. I get it, the chances that someone would need to bulk update 10,000
different SKUs might be kind of rare but wouldn't it still be ideal to be
able to filter and sort to see inventory in a specific collection or
product type?
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
80 2 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hi

You need to use inventory csv import now. You were able to use product csv import to update quantity in the past.

The only fields you need to have in your csv inventory file import is Handle and Name of location

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/locations/changing-quantities/exporting-or-importing-inventory

• <Name of location> - The amount of inventory in the location specified by the column name.

The column heading is case sensitive and must be the name of one of your locations. Include a column for each location where you want to update inventory. Remove any other location columns and headings.

The number can be positive, negative, or 0. You can also enter Not stocked to indicate that the product is never stocked at the location.

Also note: To uniquely identify a variant, specify values for the Handle, Option1 Value, Option2 Value, and Option3 Value columns.

If you are updating quantity on a regular basis we could automate the process depending on how you are currently getting new inventory values. This could eliminate the need to import csv files manually.

Regards

Tom

Over 16 years experience in operating ecommerce businesses.
DM me on here or via message at Channelup
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
80 2 3

Hi

Sorry saw your reply after I posted. You could still export using product export to generate a specific list of products in your csv file. Then you simply remove all columns apart from "Handle" and add the inventory location as your second column. I know it is a bit annoying you can't filter the inventory list. Hopefully they add it in the future.

Regards

Tom

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Your feedback solved the problem for me. Thank You Shansalam!!

In the past I've been able to update my inventory using the Product Inventory IMPORT ... all-of-a-sudden I noticed my quantities were out of whack and customers were buying items that are no longer in stock. Everything was working just fine ... something changed on the backend out of the blue and there goes an entire day of hacking on something that WAS working!

For those reading it's no longer

Products :: All Products :: Import

>> It's now Products :: Inventory :: Import

>>> Learn more about importing inventory

C'est tout.

Highlighted
Excursionist
18 1 4

Thank you, I also figured this out (thanks to my IT husband who also read the help file and told me which columns to use) but my question is WHY WHY WHY do I have to now, export and file, which was was going to use to edit various fields and then do TWO SEPARATE imports, one for all 25 other fields I can update and the other for JUST THE INVENTORY!!?? Why can't I update it when I do the product import changes? This has added three extra steps for me. I now have to do this the way you described, which just seems ridiculous.

When did this change?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
80 2 3

Hi

The products table no longer stores inventory level but rather it links to the inventory table through an ID. So basically you can only use a csv import into one table and as the data is stored in 2 tables you need to run 2 csv imports. There is an inventory_quantity value on product but that is simply a sum of your inventories from locations so you cannot update this value directly.

The product level inventory API was meant to have been deprecated October 1 so sometime after this the change would have taken place to remove that option for updating inventory on the product level. The ability to use inventory separately was implemented in 2018. Probably needed some additional notifications for people that use csv imports that the system was changing.

Regards

Tom

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 1 4

OK! So it changed in October!? Wow, that was recently, and that means I'm NOT (completely) crazy then!! 

YES to adding MORE NOTIFICATIONS and YES to they should have SAID SOMETHING! Sometimes making updates to how the shipping purchase page looks or a few cosmetic changes are not nearly as important as the administrative changes that have a HUGE impact on NUMBERS. I mean, I don't even know how many items I thought I was updating that weren't actually changed. 

By the way, I know it's not your fault since you're nice to enough to answer my questions. But hopefully someone from Shopify actually reads this and senses my frustration about this change.