Need to make Zip Code/Postal Code Mandatory for Irish Orders

Zoe_Brooks1
Tourist
10 0 8

Hi there,

I need to make the zip code/postal code form section required for orders in Ireland. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Replies 27 (27)

pioneer100
Shopify Partner
1119 145 481
For that you need to add required in input of address form in accout page.

Like and mark as accepted answer.
Thank you
If helpful, Please Like and accept The Solution.
Zoe_Brooks1
Tourist
10 0 8
Hi,

How exactly do you do this? Is it a code you need to put in?
Marcosk
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, Did you find a solution for this? I need to do the same for Postal Code field. Need it mandatory. Thanks

pioneer100
Shopify Partner
1119 145 481

-find the code for zipcode in form and put required attribute in the Input field.

<input type="text" id="zipcode" name="zipcode" required>

-Give Likes 🙂

If helpful, Please Like and accept The Solution.
Diana_g
Tourist
7 0 15

You can only have access to checkout page code if you are on a Plus Plan!

We have big issues with the shipping company, just because of this stupid thing....!

I am wondering is there any other way to do that, I mean an app or some hack? I really need to make the ZIP mandatory for Irish orders or else our shipping partner blame us for undelivered and missing parcels! Just because they don't have the postcode, how convenient!

It is ridiculous...one should be able to decide if the postcode should be mandatory or not! 

Ty10
Tourist
4 0 1

Hey,

I am having the same problem now too! 

Has you managed to find a solution to this? Its causing me major problems with fulfilment.

Thanks!

Tyler

whitelorraine
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi did anyone ever find a solution to this? 

this-nathan
Visitor
1 0 0

This should be the accepted answer. Thanks! 

Platanomelón
Shopify Partner
14 0 27

Same for Spain... Seems like a bug or something? Because there is no option to enable/disable mandatory Zip Code in settings 😕

NCK-ESP
Excursionist
12 0 11

It has to be a bug in the checkout.

Zip 'div' has the class "field--required" but no test is done when you press the "continue" button:

<div class="field field--required field--third" data-address-field="zip" data-autocomplete-field-container="true">

Input tag has the "aria-required" property too, so that's not the problem.

Checkout is bugged in the zip code checking, there's no other explanation.

RacerfishDiego
Tourist
4 0 3

It seems really strange and everything points to a bug considering Postal Code used to be a mandatory field in the past. I was in contact with Shopify Support multiple times and was told that this was expected behaviour.

For us, this is a big deal breaker as a local payment gateway need this info to be mandatory for risk & compliance reasons (chargeback) so it currently forbids us approving our Online Shop for them.

Any chance that this will be fixed in Shopify's Core anytime soon?

Berkerog
Visitor
1 0 0

Were you be able to find a solution? This is a huge problem for us too, I just can't understand why did they change it.

Ty10
Tourist
4 0 1
Unfortunately I could not find a solution, and since have stopped selling to Ireland (for more than 1 reason). Hopefully you can find a solution though.
RacerfishDiego
Tourist
4 0 3

We could not find a solution for this really - we managed a workaround via our CMS and pre-filled the Shipping Adress in the Checkout via Storefront API calls, thus being able to fetch the mandatory address info beforehand. This helped our acquirers validation process, but it still leaves the checkout field for postal code without actual validation during checkout in case someone would go and remove the pre-filled data from there - i suppose this is not a viable way for most real life use cases though. I really hope this will be fixed some time soon in the Shopify Checkout Core functionality.

williamoconnor
Shopify Partner
12 1 8

This is an issue for us also. Having some form of validation on the zip code field to not be blank is needed at a minimum. If using the Local Delivery shipping method, there are options to only allow specific Zip codes, however without any frontend validation on the form, this allows the customer to get to the Shipping page when no shipping methods are available for their zip code.

ItayTabibi1
Tourist
3 0 1

Having the same issue in Israel.. 

does somebody found solution? 

Claudio4018
Excursionist
14 0 9

Is there any update on this issue?

monthan
Tourist
3 0 3

Came across the same issue for our client - the last mile delivery API we're using threw an error when a customer went through the checkout without filling postal code. I started digging, and this is indeed a problem in Shopify checkout. Support first pointed towards theme, but that's not the case as I replicated it with a plain vanilla out of the box store as well as any Shopify store out there. Waiting for feedback from Shopify support.

Jelena80
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello Monthan,
can you please tell us did you get feedback from Shopify considering this issue?
Thanks

monthan
Tourist
3 0 3

Yes, here's the reply:

To make sure with the possibility, I have coordinated with our Technical Team I’ve also did some further research and found that there is indeed a limitation to this specific feature not being readily available.

The postal code is a required field for only some countries, and in this case, Finland is not included.

As a workaround, you may use apps (like the one that you're currenly using) These checkout fields provide a real solution and replace these workarounds and apps.

Another workaround would be enabling the "Company name" field in checkout and changing its label within admin Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit Languages. After that search "Company name" in the search field.

These checkout fields provide a real solution and replace these workarounds and apps

If in any case the feature that you are trying to request is not yet available in the platform, with your permission, I'll go ahead and pass your feature request over to our developments team so they could take a closer look. This way, we can learn more and possibly think of better ways on how to handle different types of back-end issues and how to improve the platform overall. Rest assured that we will learn from this.

To which I replied that I would personally see a lot of value for this becoming a feature in the admin UI, next to full name, company name, address and shipping address phone. 

PastedGraphic-1.png

This would be preferred as any workarounds have a UX/UI impact, and bring up dependencies in notifications, APIs and more.

Jelena80
Tourist
3 0 1

Thank you very much. I don't find this solution with editing language so good, because there are lots of field in it and I am not sure if I need to change each of them or just label name, and in that case, if I understood I need to change and postal code label otherwise I would have two same labels. 

Can you tell me which app is mentioned in this answer "you may use apps (like the one that you're currently using"?

monthan
Tourist
3 0 3

Yeah, I fully agree. Having native support for marking postal code / zip code as required via the admin UI would be best.

We are using Zapiet Store Pickup & Delivery app to enable our client's online business which is fast casual (pizzas, burgers, tacos across multiple restaurants). 

Jelena80
Tourist
3 0 1

Yes, they need to fix this definitely. Thank you

Luxonis-Brandon
Tourist
3 0 6

I just wanted to chime in that I have the same problem.

How in the name of technology in 2021 is making postal code a required field not a possibility?  Almost every courier requires a postal code to ship.  

Anyone from Shopify monitor these threads?

Thanks,

Brandon

Kitty_Zapiet
Shopify Partner
78 1 3

Hi Guys,

I am really sorry for the delay in responding - we have only just seen a number of mentions on the form, going forwards we will get a notification for forum posts and respond much quicker. 

@monthan I just wanted to let you know we are launching our new app this year Zapiet Eats - you can find more information and register your interest using that link.  This app was created with food establishments in mind and might be of interest to your business. 

If you need any more assistance or information you can email us at supprt@zapiet.com, you can also start a live chat by visiting www.zapiet.com

Take care,

Kitty

Luxonis-Brandon
Tourist
3 0 6

Thanks for the response, @Kitty_Zapiet !

So I just wanted to check though on the feature request - will Shopify be adding the capability (in the UI) to make postal/zip codes a mandatory field?

It would be extremely useful for us. 

Thanks,

Luxonis-Brandon

GemPages
Shopify Partner
5588 1261 1203

Hello @Zoe_Brooks1 

The zip code field of the address form in your checkout, is automatically set to require the zip or postal code be entered before proceeding to the next page of the checkout. Therefore, customers will not be able to continue through to the shipping page unless their zip code is provided. 

You can assist your customers with entering their entire shipping address details by enabling the address autocompletion option. This checkout setting is found in your Shopify admin by going to ‘Settings > Checkout’. It looks like this:

GemPages_0-1671670158434.png

What payment gateway are you using? If you are using Shopify Payments, then there is another setting that you can use to ensure an accurate zip code is entered. From your Shopify admin again, please go to  ‘Settings > Payment Providers > Manage’ and enable the Address Verification System (AVS).

This is a fraud prevention feature as well, that will decline the payment if the zip code entered for the billing address does not match what the customer’s credit card provider has on file for them.

I hope the above is useful to you.
Best regards,
GemPages Support Team

GemPages - Build any high-converting store pages for any business

- If you find my reply helpful, please hit Like and Mark as Solution
- Get connected: App Store | Blog | Community | Help Center