Need to upload 3000 images.

Solved
5 0 0

I need to bulk upload 3000 image, every time i try to do it using "Files" in setting, some images are not uploaded and i cant figure out which did upload and which didnt. Is there a way to see how many files been uploaded? Or how can i upload 3000 images and make sure all files are correctly uploaded? 

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Partner
1704 47 149

@ArtiomP wrote:

I need to bulk upload 3000 image

What are the images for?

If it's for products you should be using the CSV import and an url accessible datastore with all your images and let shopify do the importing over the wire.

@ArtiomP wrote:

every time i try to do it using "Files" in setting, some images are not uploaded and i cant figure out which did upload and which didnt. Is there a way to see how many files been uploaded? Or how can i upload 3000 images and make sure all files are correctly uploaded? 

You wont be able to easily see how many files uploaded , or didn't, since there is currently no admin files api. There's not even a myshopify.com/admin/settings/files.json as shopify is still very product centered in regards to assets. 

Diagnostic liquid templates - For something like this you could make a liquid template using filters to output the assets(file_url or file_img_url). Though you will of course need to get the filenames into that template and parse them and loop over it all for comparison. Then on any asset that fails or is null output a local file URI or command line parameter.

When managing a lot of non-product related imagery, it's common to use theme assets, product|variant images, blog images, or metafields.

For metafields either as A) as a base64 encoding(~65K char limitor B) store a reference to an external datastore like AWS,gdrive, or dropbox.

For image api uploading keep an eye out for graphqls shopimageupload incase it becomes public.

It's also common regardless of platform to either make a custom curl or autoit script when there is no ftp or api available for a custom business requirement with bulk assets.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
246 9 49

Try it in smaller batches like batches of 300. If you go beyond a few hundred it may start to have issues I've found

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
289 22 33

Thought I replied to this post but I do not see it here... so tired.... so sick.... *cough* LOL.

In the past I have data retrieved images and put them back into CSVs for Plus stores.  Like we are talking 100,000+ Images at times.  Mixed content, some deleted, some not.  Sometimes you do not know which is which.

To do this, I would use my apps I made to download all current Product Images, and All Deleted Product Images.  Then Put them in folders of 500 Images and upload 500 at a time.  The numbers can vary, depends on image size, etc.  You should be good doing 300-500 at a time in the admin.

If you need assistance with this, feel free to reach out.  If its only 3k images, It should not take to long or cost to much.

Best Regards,
Duncan.
Isle of misfit code & development
http://ecomdev.ca
0 Likes
5 0 0

I actually found a quick way to do it. If you upload all the images to a cloud host and then get all the links into the css file with corresponding product, Shopify will auto download and save them to your store :)

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1704 47 149

@ArtiomP wrote:

... get all the links into the css file with corresponding product, Shopify will auto download and save them to your store :)

You mean CSV right? or have you found a way to use CSS(Cascading StyleSheets) to manage images for your storefront?

0 Likes
5 0 0

@PaulNewton wrote:

@ArtiomP wrote:

... get all the links into the css file with corresponding product, Shopify will auto download and save them to your store :)

You mean CSV right? or have you found a way to use CSS(Cascading StyleSheets) to manage images for your storefront?

My bad, I meant CSV.

Was autocorrected. 

Thanks for pointing out!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1704 47 149

@ArtiomP wrote:

@PaulNewton wrote:

@ArtiomP wrote:

My bad, I meant CSV.

Was autocorrected. 

Thanks for pointing out!

Was pretty sure, but wanted to know in case you'd accidentally found a new technique that would blow minds 😲.

This is a pretty common merchant workflow problem generally gdrive,dropbox,etc is used.

Could you please elaborate on which cloud host you used and why, or link to any of their docs you used to make a public url of images. Thanks.

0 Likes