New Shopify update broke section block title preview

tajso
4 0 0

Latest Shopify update broke this editorial name functionality. Block's title WAS visible on sidebar listing.

"blocks": [
        {
            "type": "editorial",
            "name": "Editorial",
            "settings": [
                {
                    "type": "text",
                    "id": "title",
                    "label": "This editorial name (so you can find it quickly in the sidebar)",
                    "default": "An Editorial"
                },

• ux
Replies 10 (10)

diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2958 568 890

What exactly do you mean by broke? Are you getting any errors? What is showing up on your storefront instead?

◦ Follow my blog & youtube for coding tutorials.
◦ Replace apps with copy/paste code snippets and save money.
tajso
4 0 0

I'm talking about block settings in customize. Those "Builder Section" named blocks have got titles (defined in block settings) instead of having those general section names (defined in schema).

tajso_0-1603979881338.png

TeoDor
Visitor
2 0 0

I have the same!
I need to solve this because I even specifically created input text for the client to make it better to edit these blocks.
Please help as soon as possible.

Block Settings.png

Blocks List.png

Nico4
Shopify Expert
25 0 10

Same problem here. Very unpractical.

AuralFetish
Excursionist
33 0 25

Yep. Verified.

I just spent 1+ hour mumbling WTF?! at my screen and moving things around in my section, trying to get the block element title to appear. I checked another store I have where it was known to be working, and I can see that they have removed (or broken) the block title functionality. IMO, I'm guessing "broken" because the entire UI of the (very poorly named) "theme editor" is now a jumbled mess. A user needs to figure out that if they want to edit blocks, they expand the accordion, and if they want to edit the main settings (aka content) they click on the section name. Very poorly executed, like most things Shopify does. I'd post some screencaps, but this board blocks the upload of the (evil and clearly dangerous) PNG format. 

If anyone from shopify is listening (as he shouts into the void), I hate your product and I use every opportunity I can to warn any stakeholders considering Shopify. I hate your business decisions. I hate your design decisions. I often wonder if calling such things "decisions" is overly generous. I hate this board, and the fact that people like Jason exist - people who boost their ego by jumping into nearly every thread to provide non-answers, shaming the OP with haughty suggestions, and stifling real conversation.

Shopify, you suck.

TheThisThat
Shopify Partner
61 3 17

Same. An hour wasted too trying to figure out why title wasn't working. Any fix or is this just the way it's gonna be from now on.

a little of this and a little of that
TeoDor
Visitor
2 0 0

Any answer for this problem ? Please read comment before I send.

GlueDigiStu
Visitor
1 0 0

This has just been flagged to me by a client who's seeing the same issue - 

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 17.12.57.png

 Incredibly frustrating where that used to say "Black" "Blue" "Red" etc..

AuralFetish
Excursionist
33 0 25

It's hit-and-miss. I've got one page where block titles show up from one section but not the other. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.02.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.07.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.07.33 AM.png

I'm sure Shopify wants to ensure a consistent user experience, so I'll just call my account person and get a status update. Oh wait, I guess I got Shopify confused with every other service-based platform in the world. 8P

ricky_roofgone
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

Problem is still present.

For text-based blocks, the solution (read: hack) is to have a field with an id of "title".

+1 to AuralFetish for the clue.