Solved

Newsletter signup form on external site

immiike
Tourist
4 0 1

Dear Community members

I am running my website outside of Shopify, but want my visitors to be able to sign up for my newsletter. The sign-up form currently points to an external newsletter platform. I want to point it Shopify so that I can use Shopify's email marketing tools. Do you know if that is possible?

Kind regards
Mike

Accepted Solution (1)

Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @immiike 

Eunice here from the Shopify team in New Zealand, thanks for posting!

From your message, I'm learning you'd like to give your customers the ability to sign up to your [Shopify store] email subscriber list from your third-party site. Sadly this isn't possible at the moment, but I'd love to submit a feature request on your behalf. I can see a lot of merchants benefiting from this too! If you're happy to do this let me know and I'll send you an email to confirm your store. Also, to understand your situation a bit better, I'd like to ask what do you use your third-party site for? Is it a blog?

Now, I do have a workaround for you, but it involves using the third-party app Seguno and your customers being re-directed to your Shopify site. You mentioned you're already using a third-party app for a function similar to this, but it directs your customers to a signup page offered by the app, is that right?

With Seguno you're able to create a newsletter sign-up page for your Shopify store. You can then share the URL link of this page on your third-party site for customers to click and be redirected. Seguno is free to install and free to use up to 250 subscribers. If you have more than that, the fee to use the app is $10 USD per month. Does your third-party site allow you to create button links? That would make the journey more seamless for your customer.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to sing out here if you have any questions, and let me know about that feature request.

Cheers!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 10 (10)

Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @immiike 

Eunice here from the Shopify team in New Zealand, thanks for posting!

From your message, I'm learning you'd like to give your customers the ability to sign up to your [Shopify store] email subscriber list from your third-party site. Sadly this isn't possible at the moment, but I'd love to submit a feature request on your behalf. I can see a lot of merchants benefiting from this too! If you're happy to do this let me know and I'll send you an email to confirm your store. Also, to understand your situation a bit better, I'd like to ask what do you use your third-party site for? Is it a blog?

Now, I do have a workaround for you, but it involves using the third-party app Seguno and your customers being re-directed to your Shopify site. You mentioned you're already using a third-party app for a function similar to this, but it directs your customers to a signup page offered by the app, is that right?

With Seguno you're able to create a newsletter sign-up page for your Shopify store. You can then share the URL link of this page on your third-party site for customers to click and be redirected. Seguno is free to install and free to use up to 250 subscribers. If you have more than that, the fee to use the app is $10 USD per month. Does your third-party site allow you to create button links? That would make the journey more seamless for your customer.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to sing out here if you have any questions, and let me know about that feature request.

Cheers!

immiike
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi @Eunice

I would highly appreciate if you could open a feature request for me 🙂 My third-party site is an existing website and I've built the shop after launching my site but I want to use Shopify's marketing features now 🙂 Thank you also for suggesting Seguno!

Kind regards
Mike

Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

Gotcha, that totally makes sense! Thank you for sharing that with me. 

I'll flick you an email to your Community email address now to submit the feature request. Sometimes emails from Shopify go into your junk file so be sure to check there too.

Speak soon.

cjpletcher
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

Has this changed at all yet? I have a client who's planning to use Shopify as their POS system and will be signing up customers at the checkout for a rewards program. They do not plan to have online store yet, but it would be nice to add a signup for the rewards program widget on their current website, which would add customers to Shopify with the correct tag.

tojai
Shopify Partner
9 1 2

Hi Eunice, 

seeing this has been an issue 2 years ago I have the same prob now but still can't find a satisfying answer. Has this been implemented in the meanwhile and if so, do you a link to the regarding documentation? tia.

kcljnguyen
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Any idea if this will ever be allowed/implemented?

tojai
Shopify Partner
9 1 2

Hi, I eventually built a way around it, and it didn't take too long:
First I do the entire address collection outside of Shopify, taking care of verification, double-opt-in and whatever else is required. 
Afterwards I push everything into Shopify using the API. Works like a charm and can be amended for any other webservice.

Gabby3467
Visitor
1 0 0

Can you pls share an update on how you did this. I currently have the same issue. I have a wordpress blog and Im able to have a newsletter signup. How do I push this info to my shopify so that I can utilize shopify for my marketing emails

tojai
Shopify Partner
9 1 2

Hi Gabby3467, 

sure can do: I'll assume, you've already collected your emails within your blog.
Firstyou'll need to setup a custom app in Shopify and only allow read_customers, read_gift_cards, write_customers, read_marketing_events, write_marketing_events.
Next you'll need a cronjob, that listens to new verified email addresses and - when found - pushes the email via the app.
I'd recommend doing a search for the email first and then an update or registering the email if the search returned empty. 
Here is the code to register an email:

$headers = [
                    'X-Shopify-Access-Token:' . $api['access'], // access token
                    'Accept: application/json',
                    'Content-Type: application/json',
                    'Authorization: Basic ' . base64_encode($api['user'] . ':' . $api['pwd']) // basic auth User:Pwd@ base64 encoded
                ];

$data = [
                    'customer' => [
                        'email' => $email,
                        "updated_at" => date('Y-m-d') . 'T' . date('H:i:s') . "-05:00",
                        "marketing_opt_in_level" => "confirmed_opt_in",
                        "email_marketing_consent" => [
                            "consent_updated_at" => date('Y-m-d') . 'T' . date('H:i:s') . "-05:00",
                            "state" => "subscribed",
                            "opt_in_level" => "confirmed_opt_in"
                        ],
                        "verified_email" => true,
                        "tags" => "Newsletter"
                    ]
                ];

$url = 'https://' . $api['shop'] . '/admin/api/' . APIVERSION . '/customers.json';

$session = curl_init();
                curl_setopt($session, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
                curl_setopt($session, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, json_encode($data) );
                curl_setopt($session, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $headers);
                curl_setopt($session, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
                $response = curl_exec($session);
                curl_close($session);

Cheers!

Deckardinho
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi together,
is there any news on this topic?
Currently we are using the new shopify internal "froms" Tool to collect email subs.
Still we are running several external (3rd party) landingpages, from which I would like to have the collected lead data also in my shopify email automations/funnels.
Thanks for giving an update on this.