Old Store Revived with new name and products - Domain Change issues

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I had a store a couple years ago that was for a temporary event. After the event, I closed the store. Fast forward to today and I have a new product we would like to offer online. Since I had a previous login with Shopify, I logged in and modified the products and settings to work with the new product. I  selected the lowest cost plan with Spotify and thought we were off and running. Once I had it all wrapped up, I saw the old domain and I wanted to change it. From what I read, that is not possible but I can purchase a domain through Shopify and then have that domain point to the modified store. So I followed the instructions, bought a domain through Shopify and the end result is that it created a second store with the new domain on the 2 week trial plan and I cannot find a way to point that domain to my updated store.

What is my best option here? I already paid to reinstate my old store and i have spent the time needed to modify all of the products and update the shipping and other settings. I just want it to be simple. I don't want two stores. Help?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
457 50 100

Hi @YOLOClean

Hyde here from Shopify. Interesting question!

When you buy a domain from Shopify, you have to do it from within the account you intend to use it on. You do this by going to Online Store > Domains and selecting Buy Domain. Here is the help document for that, and here is a video explaining the process:

I'm not sure how you created a second account, but from what you've described it sounds like you might have attempted to log in to Shopify but accidentally signed up for another account.

You could cancel that second store, here's how:

1. Go to `Settings > Account`
2. Scroll down to `Store Status`
3. You’ll see the option to Pause or Close your store
4. Enter your password when prompted and click `Confirm`

If the domain you bought has somehow been associated with that account you want to close, you'll need to wait 60 days for it to be eligible for transfer to the correct store. You can reach out to us in 60 days' time and we will help you with that.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there Hyde,

I did purchase it from within my only account. I was logged in and I followed this process and purchased the domain through Shopify. When I was done, there are two domains under my account. The first is the one I have had for a couple years and was trying to modify for a new venture. The second one is just the new domain sitting there and it says it is on a 14 day trial.

All I want is to use the domain name I just purchased, on the existing store that I just got done modifying for our new venture.

0 Likes