Once a gift card is issued, how many times it can be used by a customer?

happyspaces
Excursionist
21 0 2

Once a gift card is issued, how many times it can be used by a customer?

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
772 86 115

Hey, @happyspaces!

Ash here from the Shopify team.

This is a great question! When making a purchase in your store, a customer can redeem the value of a Gift Card by entering its unique code at checkout. A gift card holds a balance, which can be spent over more than one order. Once the balance reaches $0, then the Gift Card will no longer be usable. Here is a document in our Help Center which goes over the process of redeeming Gift Cards on Shopify. There's also some more great information in our Gift Card FAQ here

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to reply to this post if you have any further question regarding the use of Gift Cards on Shopify. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
andrew_ecomloop
Shopify Partner
34 1 10

Gift cards can be used an indefinite number of times. It's based upon the value of the card so as long as there's value on the card, it can still be used. 

ecomloop
We help uncommon businesses succeed in the digital economy
Have an interesting project? Send a message or visit ecomloop.com
0 Likes
Neomi_av
Shopify Partner
156 2 11

Hi @happyspaces, I'm Neomi from Rise.ai app,

as ash mentioned, you can redeem your gift card until the balance reaches to 0$, 

one problem with this is that your customer doesn't really know what is his balance after every purchase.

Here at Rise, we specialize in gift cards and loyalty program and one of our unique developments is a "check your Gift Card balance" page.

You can read more about it in this help center article.

check out our listing page and feel free to contact us at info@rise.ai

0 Likes
Django1118
4 0 0

Can gift cards be used by more than one person? Let's say I gave the code to another person, can he/she use the code, even if i already used it using my email address?

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
772 86 115

Hey, @Django1118!

Ash here from the Shopify team.

Gift cards can absolutely be used by more than one person! If you already used a gift card, it's up to you if you want to use it up completely, or share it with someone else! If you choose to share it, the new recipient can then use it, or pass it along to another user! The same gift card can be used as long as the card still has a remaining balance. Once the balance on the card is used in it's entirety, then the card will no longer be usable. A gift cards usability is not dependant on the email used to purchase it, or the email of someone who uses it, but rather the value associated with the card. 

This should answer your question, but if you'd like to learn more about selling and redeeming gift cards, we have some awesome documentation in our Help Center! Feel free to let me know if you have any further gift card related questions here as well. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Django1118
4 0 0

Thanks Ash!

0 Likes