Optional field in checkout should be mandatory

Solved
leinaD
Shopify Partner
43 1 4

Hi,

not sure if this is the right fit to ask but I noticed some maybe unintended behaviour in checkout.

First of all, I do not have shopify plus. Thus I have to rely on 'standard' checkout experience.

Filling out shipping adress without zip code won't trigger a hint about missing postal code field. However there is no placeholder hint ('Optional') like we have for field 'company'. So I expect this field to be mandatory. But I can proceed to the next step even when postal code is left blank.

Does someone know if this behavour is intended?

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Likes
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
155 38 28

**Post Edited May 10th**

Hi Daniel!

Thank you for sharing your question here. I can definitely help you to get this issue resolved. There could be a few possible reasons as to why the checkout is not requiring the postal code that I can go through with you. To help me troubleshoot this with you are you able to share your store URL and some of the products you have tested previously that didn't require the postal code at checkout? This way I can test to see if I can replicate the issue on my end as well.

If you are using a third party payment gateway (Example: Stripe, Authorize.net, 2checkout, etc) they could be directing customers away from the native checkout and have different rules applied. If this is the case, you would actually want to contact your payment gateway provider for additional assistance. I can confirm that for you once I have a look at the store!

Another reason why this may be happening is that the products going through the checkout are marked as "Shipping Not Required" in the product details, meaning that the address does not need to be authenticated as the item will not be physically shipped. A fast and easy way to check this is to use the Bulk Editor in your store admin. You can review all your products and see if any of them have shipping disabled by following these steps:

• Sign into the affected store admin and go to Products
  • Click the check box just to the upper left of the product list to select all products, depending on the size of your catalogue you may see "50 Selected" along with a prompt to "Select all 50+ products"
  • Select the "Edit Products" button to open the Bulk Editor
  • Add the field "Shipping > Requires Shipping"

Any product that does not have a checkmark in the bulk editor under Requires Shipping would not require an address at the checkout.

Let me know if that information helps and feel free to share your store URL with me here if you need additional troubleshooting to be done. If you were able to resolve this, please let us know what your solution was in case anyone else has the same issue in the future.

Thank you!

Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

leinaD
Shopify Partner
43 1 4

Thank you Shay,

I checked the Requires Shipping field for a bunch of products. All have their checkmark in the bulk editor. However as far as I can see my reported issue applies for any product in the shop.

Fact: The mandatory field for the city will bring up a warning if not filled out.

As payment comes afterwards in the checkout process it's probably not related to third-party-providers.

Here is the shop url: http://beautyavenue-berlin.myshopify.com/

Best regards

0 Likes
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
155 38 28

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for following up with me to let me know what troubleshooting you have done already. I did some more digging into this and connected with my technical and shipping team for more insight.

I need to apologize as I provided incorrect information in my original post (I will edit it to clarify). It turns out that while the postal code/zip code is mandatory in North America, that is not the case for most European countries. This is feedback that our team has been made aware of, and I have added your case to that feedback as well. I do have a work around that you can apply in the interim though to ensure that customers are providing their postal code at the checkout.

Your checkout has an optional field for "Company" that can be made mandatory. As this line is optional you can change wording for it from Company to Postal Code and set it to mandatory so that customers must fill in the field before moving through the checkout. Alternatively, you can also change the wording for the "Postal Code" field to say something like "Mandatory - Postal Code" to encourage customers to fill it in on their own.

You can edit the language in your theme file from within your store admin by going to: Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit Language. On the Edit Language screen, search for the keyword "Company" or "Postal Code" and update the wording for it on the checkout.

If you need any additional help with this please let me know.

- Shay

Shay | Support Advisor @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

leinaD
Shopify Partner
43 1 4

Hi Shay,

I don't get why the postal code shouldn't be mandatory. However thanks a lot for showing some workarounds to this. Setting the company name field to required and re-label via language files is a valid solution.

Thanks, Daniel

0 Likes