Solved

Order details hidden on mobile (Checkout)

leinaD
Shopify Partner
46 1 7

Hey,

during checkout the order details are hidden by default.  Of course they can be unfolded but this is an issue when being certified.

'Bestellzusammenfassung anzeigen' (show order details) will unveil product price, subtotal and so on. Is there a way to unfold this by default? Desktop view is perfect, only mobile will 'compress' the view due to responsiveness.

screenshot_checkout.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, there.

This is Dallas from the Shopify Social Care Team.

When it comes to the actual checkout of the store, its layout and the backend liquid are both locked. In that case, this feature will have to stay as it is.

I completely understand the frustration when it comes to trying to allow your customers to see all of the order details before they proceed in the checkout, but the reason it is set up this way is to streamline the process and help to prevent abandoned carts. At this point in the purchasing process your customers are coming right from the cart where they can see all that they have added to the cart. Then at the end of the checkout process your customers will see a summary before they process payment in order to make sure that they are all set before they pay.

In this case it is actually better that the summary is hidden for your business so that your customers can start the process to pay for the products that they want. When it comes to working towards converting sales the best course of action is to make the checkout as easy and streamlined as possible so payment can be captured as easily as possible.

I totally understand your request, but even though this isn't a feature that can be adjusted I think in the long run the way it is now is going to be a more positive feature than negative.

Based on the information that was shared this should answer your question, but if you have any follow ups or any additional questions please let me know.

Best

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 13 (13)

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, there.

This is Dallas from the Shopify Social Care Team.

When it comes to the actual checkout of the store, its layout and the backend liquid are both locked. In that case, this feature will have to stay as it is.

I completely understand the frustration when it comes to trying to allow your customers to see all of the order details before they proceed in the checkout, but the reason it is set up this way is to streamline the process and help to prevent abandoned carts. At this point in the purchasing process your customers are coming right from the cart where they can see all that they have added to the cart. Then at the end of the checkout process your customers will see a summary before they process payment in order to make sure that they are all set before they pay.

In this case it is actually better that the summary is hidden for your business so that your customers can start the process to pay for the products that they want. When it comes to working towards converting sales the best course of action is to make the checkout as easy and streamlined as possible so payment can be captured as easily as possible.

I totally understand your request, but even though this isn't a feature that can be adjusted I think in the long run the way it is now is going to be a more positive feature than negative.

Based on the information that was shared this should answer your question, but if you have any follow ups or any additional questions please let me know.

Best

leinaD
Shopify Partner
46 1 7

Hi Dallas,

I know there is not much to modifiy when it comes to the checkout page. However, thanks for the quick and clear response. I'm curious whether this will fail the certification or not.

Regards

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

I'm not sure I am following what you mean when you're talking about failing the certification. 

There shouldn't be any failures associated with the summary not expanding, but if I am not quite understanding what you're meaning please let me know! 

leinaD
Shopify Partner
46 1 7

There are entities like Trusted Shops with Certifications for your shop. These are very common and by passing some conditions you gain trust. And (at least in germany) the order details need to be exposed in checkout (like it's done in desktop view).

Jorge_Aguayo
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello Dallas!

There is still one little issue: the coupon box is also hidden, and now I understand why some of my customers compliant saying "there is not such a coupon box on your checkout" 

Thanks for giving a second thought on this one 

Jorge

bearandbabe
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi Dallas,

Appreciate can't expand it all by default but would appreciate if the coupon field could be moved to the main body as we have had a number of customers complain they can't find it and doesn't make sense to place it within the order summary when it relates more to payment.

All the best

Peter

chilco
Visitor
2 0 1

Exactly - I am sure I lose 20% minimum of mobile checkouts when I have a discount code being offered and customers cannot easily find how to enter coupon code. And not seeing order details by default is another surefire way to generate lots of abandoned carts/checkouts. 

Some things on shopify make no sense at all and lose sales for merchants. Considering most store's traffic is likely around 60 - 70% mobile this is a BIG ISSUE that needs to be resolve in any shopify plan

symmetry
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Dallas your logic regarding "In this case it is actually better that the summary is hidden for your business so that your customers can start the process to pay for the products that they want" is accurate except with respect to check-out links. We are starting to use them and from the start, clients are complaining that all they see is a dollar figure without context (particular when they are paying for a service and getting an add on as well). It's not intuitive for them to click on the show order summary (as they aren't expecting it to be hidden) and it's adding extra admin for us as we explain all this. I'm overcoming it by adding instructions to click on show order summary to view the complete order but if there was a way to control this just for mobile view that would save some headaches.

CaseyDugan
Visitor
2 0 3

This is absolutely not an accepted solution. Shopify needs to add an option to expand the order summary by default. It currently looks like I am trying to hide shipping fees and taxes from my customers. It also looks like I'm purposely trying to make it difficult for my customers to find where to enter discount codes

Aaron_Kroontje
Shopify Partner
20 0 11

This is pretty beyond ridiculous! I have seen the issue listed many times for the use of promo codes but for our business it's very important to draft invoices for corporate clients. When we send the link over it just show the amount? How can this not be an option? 

m_waqas
Shopify Partner
170 37 52

This is the default behaviour of Shopify, though you may open it by default using the Javascript. If you're a Shopify plus brand add the following code in the checkout.liquid layout otherwise go to your Shopify admin's settings, click on "checkout" and find the text area labelled as "Additional scripts" and paste the code there and hit "save" button.

if(window.location.href.indexOf("checkouts") > -1 && $(".order-summary-toggle").length > 0) {
	$(".order-summary-toggle").click();
}

Note: In order to work it correctly, you must have jQuery at your chekcout.

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like and Accept as Solution
- Want to implement a custom solution? Feel free to contact me at waqas4346@gmail.com
leinaD
Shopify Partner
46 1 7

Adding this to the additional scripts field will have no effect as this is only considered later in the process. Unfortunately I can't modify checkout.liquid (No Shopify Plus).

I'm curious, did it work out when the script is added to the checkout.liquid file?

m_waqas
Shopify Partner
170 37 52

You're correct it will not work through additional scripts but it does work through checkout.liquid but as you're not a Shopify plus, you won't be able to add it there.

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like and Accept as Solution
- Want to implement a custom solution? Feel free to contact me at waqas4346@gmail.com