Over 20 rings sizes for a rings webshop, can it be done without a variant?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

I'm working on a shop for a jewelry, now I have some products with variants such as

• color
  • type of metal

But the user should be able to select his/her ring size on the product page, there can be around 20 sizes.=
If I would want to do this with variants I would end up with (let's say I have 4 variants = 80 variants if I use those for the ring size)

Now my question, can I add a custom dropdown to the product form? And have that be included in orders etc, without using a variant?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
141 23 40

Hi @miguelstevens,

If you are not calculating inventory for each ring size then, yes, it is possible to do that without variants. You can use the line item properties to insert a value for the size. You can have a look here and use the drop-down select to create your size list, then paste the resulting code in the product form. 

The property can be displayed in the cart page (depending on the theme, that might require some code tinkering), and it will be visible within the order as well.

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Thanks for getting back to me! If I understand correctly, any custom input or select's I add to the form will automatically be saved in the order? And in Shopify?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
141 23 40

This is an accepted solution.

That is correct. If you set them up as per the instructions (ie. include the dropdown within the product form, inside the product.template file), then it will show up in the customer's order. 

It might require additional coding to include the line item property inside the cart page and the customer notifications, but even when it is not displayed the value is stored within the order.

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )