Page speed

4 0 0

my site is fishinmybestlife.com

i am not a programmer and i had a site built by several different groups of "experts".   i very happy with the design but i have been fighting an issue with the collection pages load speed for 4 months.  i have about 100k skus and have tried everything i could to find the right person to optimize the site. 

my scores on gtmetrix are in the 90 percentile, but the collection page loading speed is so bad that no one is going to shop on this site.  should i just leave this platform?

does anyone have any recommendations?   this is painful.

https://www.fishinmybestlife.com/collections/conventional-fishing-rods

0 Likes

Hi FishMan,

I've just checked your website—despite what GTMetrix scores show, it indeed loads slow in a browser the more products you have.

But what is interesting is that while collection pages seem to be your slowest pages, there is a similar 1-1.5sec overhead before the loading of every page.

This isn't caused by huge file size of the files downloaded—a usual cause—but by waiting for the server to respond.

These wait times are 5-10x what is normal.

The reason?

Your theme code has for loops and checks that slow down the page generation. The server struggles to perform all the tasks in time, so it tells the visitor's browser to "wait". Hence the blank screen.

The platform is not the cause of your problems. What you are experiencing is the fact that your experts didn't create your site with performance in mind.

Performance-concerns should be applied to the "front-end" development (what your visitors get delivered as code and information) and to the "back end" (what the server has to "crunch" in order to provide the results).

As a seasoned speed optimizer myself(8 years optimizing for speed, 3 years on the Shopify platform), my guess is that half of the work in your case is finding the right theme settings for the needs of your visitors. The other half would be optimizing code inefficiencies and bottlenecks.

What could you do now?

Your page generation time goes up with every product that needs to be shown.

So, for now you can:

1. Limit the amount of products seen on one page on your collection pages.
Most people don't scroll beyond the first 50% of a page. After all they are trying to determine if this is the right page to be on and if you have the products they need. Listing 48 products is useless to them any ways. Not convinced? Run a heatmapping/scrollmapping test with LuckyOrange or HotJar. I've done it over and over again and I'm still amazed :)

2. Limit the amount of brands and products listed on your homepage.

Same goes true for your homepage—most people won't see the "second page" of the brand or featured product carousel. Limit the number of these just to what is initially seen.

I bet you can get rid of the brands and featured products completely. From my work with bait producers/tackle shops I've seen that people either go straight for the promo in the hero image or go searching for something specific to their type of fishing. Help people browse easier not by overwhelming them with products, but by assisting them in narrowing down their choices.

If after the above changes your speed issue still persists, I think I may be able to help you.
Contact me on rumen@rumendimitrov.com.

Problem Solved? ✅ Accept the solution so you can help others.

Confused? Busy? ? Let me solve it for you: rumen@rumendimitrov.com

Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/braiv

Want to increase revenue? $ First find where your store is leaking money rumendimitrov.com/bfcm/
0 Likes
4 0 0
The issue definitely has to do with the loading of the collection pages.

You can actually type in the word “fishing” into the searchbar and it returns 39k products (over 100k variants) and the speed is perfect. this is the same header that is used for the collection pages so something is wrong with the code on the collection pages.

If anyone can fix this or replace the collection pages altogether I would love to work with someone qualified

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
2569 40 599

I had a look at your shop and here is my opinion:

The TTFB (time to first byte) for collection HTML is huge -- like ~5 seconds. Rumen is right, there must be some liquid code which takes long time to run, and since it only happens on collection page,  this code must be somewhere in the collection template/section and relevant snippets.

Could it be related to the use of Nextopia?

Or, opposite -- you may not need most of this liquid code because you're actually using Nextopia?

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com! My post solved your problem? This is my Paypal too :)
0 Likes
4 0 0
Thanks for the insight. I do know that it’s not nextopia because I have the collections/all that does not go to nextopia and it’s the same.

The strange thing is that you can type “fishing” into the search bar and it load 35k products fast. It’s definitely something in the collection code Too many different programmers had their hand in it and now it’s a pile of crap
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2569 40 599

Yep, the clean Turbo in your shop works much faster in this aspect then the modified one.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to diagnose what's wrong in liquid without seeing the liquid files :)

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com! My post solved your problem? This is my Paypal too :)
0 Likes