Paypal Express Checkout Not Showing Referrers in GTM

beltbro
4 0 0

Paypal Express Checkout is giving us issues with GA tracking.

Please note this is not referral exclusion or some other basic tracking issue in Google Analytics and that breaks tracking completely.

Whenever users go through checkout and use the "Express Paypal Checkout" button on first checkout screen and logs in to PayPal account Shopify redirects it to "/checkout/shipping?refresh_count=1" page, where it gets assigned new clientID for Google Analytics.

But on the other hand, when users first submit their contact information on the Shopify checkout page, and later select paypal for checkout, the attribution on the order works 100%.

Why does Paypal Express gives a new ClientID when the user clicks the button on the Checkout page? 

Is there any way to fix this?

0 Likes
beltbro
4 0 0

Anyone experience this? I know I'm not the only one!

0 Likes
beltbro
4 0 0

The issue was that I was not using the product page and my direct link to the checkout page was not formatted correctly. Once we ensured the link to the store was formated properly it seems to be working!

0 Likes
jrubenstein
1 0 0

We're experiencing this exact same problem.

When a customer checks out using the PayPal express-pay option on the checkout page, we lose all referrer information in their google analytics session.

But, when they use the PayPal payment option from the billing-info page, it's maintained and attributed correctly.

Could you ellaborate on how you went about solving this problem?

Thanks!

0 Likes
yetanotherstore
1 0 0

What was the change you made to the link?

0 Likes
beltbro
4 0 0

This post was from awhile back, but as far as I recall the solution was to ensure the prior link was formatted link this:

https://store.yourdomain.com/cart/3777XXXXXXXXXX:1,3777XXXXXXXXXX:1?channel=buy_button 

I believe when we changed it to that format, the problem was solved.

0 Likes