Pixel Not Firing Initiate Checkout Brooklyn Theme

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I have the brooklyn theme setup on my shopify store, yet I am having a hard time setting up the initiate checkout event for the pixel on my store.

I currently have the pixel installed in the web code, but not sure where exactly to add the snippet to get initiate checkout, also having this issue for add to cart.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
624 47 136

Hi, @mariop64!

Julie, here from the Shopify Support team. 

Are you referring to the Facebook Pixel? If so, you can add the pixel directly through your Shopify settings without needing to edit the code. This can be done in Online store > Preferences. We also have a help doc on how to add a Facebook pixel to your store you can check out here

After you've added a Facebook pixel in the Preferences section in Shopify, when an action happens on your online store, the pixel counts the action as an event. Adding the pixel in the Preferences section will automatically track the following 9 events:

05-24-muptn-huytg

Because you’ve already added the pixel code to your theme file, you will just need to remove it so that you don’t have more than one pixel firing on your website. We have some instructions on how to remove Facebook pixel code from your online store here. Once you’ve removed the code and add the pixel in the Preferences section, you can use the Facebook Pixel Helper to ensure it’s set up correctly.

Adding a pixel to your online store is a great way to learn more about how customers interact with your store. It also allows you to see how your ads are converting. As you continue your advertising campaigns, you might be interested in checking out our blog post on marketing analytics here. This post covers everything you need to know about how to collect data from your marketing activities and what you can do with that data.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello Julie,

I originally had it setup in the preferences section, however it was not firing correctly for this event. That is actually, why I was trying to find where in the theme code, it should be placed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
624 47 136

Thanks for the additional information, @mariop64.

This may, in fact, be an issue with the Brooklyn theme having a pop-out cart, instead of just a separate cart page altogether. With the pixel still in Online store > Preferences, are you able to test this out on another theme altogether? This would allow us to rule out whether or not it’s related to the Brooklyn theme you’re using.

Also, are you seeing these events being tracked in your Facebook Business Manager account, or are they just not firing when you are looking at the Pixel Helper?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi @Julie --  I'm having this issue with a new template too. It's the new theme template that seems to have broken the event tracking that was previously in place. Can yourself or someone point me in the direction of a solution? I am happy with my new theme aside from this one problem!

Thanks!

Hannah

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
624 47 136

Hi, Hannah! 

I appreciate you reaching out. Which theme are you currently using? Have you added a Facebook pixel in your theme's code, or just in Online store > Preferences? Also, have you tried using the Facebook Pixel Helper to confirm how many pixels are firing?  

Looking forward to hearing from you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Hi! I'm using the theme called Bewear. I have worked out the add to cart
event for Facebook already I've added that manually now. I'm talking about
Google Analytics event tracking, this has been disabled since the launch of
the new platform so the standard shopify tracking that was working on the
old theme is no longer working. Any ideas? I am guessing there is a way to
manually add an event tracking to the add to cart button but I need to know
how to do that.

Thanks,
Hannah
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
624 47 136

Thanks for your reply, Hannah.

Regardless of the theme you're using, the only Facebook pixel that should be added is the one in Online store > Preferences, which will automatically track standard events, including add to carts. The screenshot I shared in one of my previous replies above outlines each event that will automatically be tracked. In fact, if you add a Facebook Pixel in your theme's code, you may find yourself with duplicate pixels and inaccurate tracking. 

As for Google Analytics, did you add your code from Google into the Google Analytics section in Online store > Preferences? Once that's done, you'll just need to add a meta tag into your new theme's theme.liquid file. Have you already done so? Both of these steps will need to be completed in order for Google Analytics to track events, like add to carts, correctly. When this is set up correctly, Shopify automatically passes information about events that you can use for Enhanced Ecommerce for Google Analytics. It might be worth checking out our help doc on setting up Google Analytics, which provides further insight into the setup process. 

Now, in order to track a series of events, as opposed to one standard event, you'll need to setup Goals & Funnels in Google Analytics. We actually have a step-by-step guide on how to set up Google Analytics Goals & Funnels I recommend checking out. This is something you'll need to set up within your Google Analytics account and will allow you to track a variety of different actions taken in your online store, including your checkout flow. 

When you mention the launch of the new platform, are you referring to Google's newer version of Google Analytics? If that's the case, have you already upgraded to the newest version?

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

i have the same problem.

Brooklyn theme.

i installed facebook pixel helper (chrome extension) and it doesn't trigger INITIATE CHECKOUT.

page view, add to cart go well

but initiate checkout NO! :(

please, how can i solve this? there is no solution in this thread

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
624 47 136

Hi, @aklos!

Thanks for sharing the name of your theme. To confirm, did you enter the pixel ID in Online store > Preferences? Also, has the InitiateCheckout event ever fired for you or is it missing entirely? 

Currently, the InitiateCheckout event for the Facebook tracking pixel is only fired the first time a customer navigates to the checkout. If the customer goes back to your online store and updates the cart before returning to the checkout, that event does not fire again. This could be why you aren't seeing this event fire. To confirm if this is the case, I recommend testing this out in new incognito window to see if the InitiateCheckout event fires there. You can access incognito mode through the Chrome browser by heading to File > New Incognito Window.

As previously mentioned in this thread, another reason why the InitiateCheckout event isn't firing could be related to the fact that the Brooklyn theme has a pop-out cart, rather than a separate cart page altogether. With the pixel still in Online store > Preferences, are you able to test this out on another theme altogether? This would allow us to rule out whether or not it’s related to the Brooklyn theme you’re using.

As a site note, if you want to find out how many customers are reaching the checkout, you can do so by referring to the "reached checkout" section in the overview dashboard.

For next steps, please try testing this out in an incognito window. If you still aren't seeing the event, then please try testing this out in a different theme altogether and let me know how that goes. If you're still experiencing issues, feel free to share the link to your store so I can take a look using the Pixel Helper here on my end. 

Looking forward to your update!

0 Likes