Pointing domain question.

NineAmulets
Excursionist
28 0 6

I have I domain name that is with Google domains www.nineamulets.com. It points out to my Etsy site https://www.etsy.com/shop/NineAmulets/ question is: Do I need to move my domain to Spotify? Instead I would like to just point it to my Shopify store as I do with Etsy. Is there any difference if I move my domain name to Shopify, other than they  would manage my domain i.e. manage payments etc.... ?

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1972 143 423

Hey, @NineAmulets

If you are thinking of designing an online store with Shopify, then there is a good chance you'll want to connect your Google domain to your new Shopify store. You can take advantage of subdomains in that if you hope to have both a Shopify store and Etsy store then you could set up a subdomain for Shopify (shop.nineamulets.com); then a subdomain for Etsy (etsy.nineamulets.com). Alternatively, you can have your primary domain (nineamulets.com & www.nineamulets.com) direct to Shopify, while creating a subdomain for Etsy. Going this route would allow you to link your Etsy store to your Shopify store so your customers can have the option to shop on both. 

That said, if you "point" your domain to Shopify then the domain is managed by Google and not Shopify. Only if you transfer the domain to Shopify would we handle the DNS records, yearly renewal fee and any troubleshooting. If you have a custom business email for your domain then it would be best to keep the domain with Google Domains as Shopify does not currently provide an email service. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes