Problem buying a new domain

Solved
Rickycatto
1 0 0

I looked up the domain I was trying to register (with the same issues you all had) on a few other domain registration sites and it was at least 30x as expensive on any of those (.store tld). Found something else that was similar but priced at $30 on google domains, tried it on shopify and it went through easily.

Check if the quote from shopify is unreasonable

0 Likes
TomDool
1 0 1

Hi all, 
I had the same problem and here is how I fixed it. 
When chatting with customer support, they told me the problem is that the system recognizes my phone number as a fax phone number. 

Here is the process: 

I removed the country code "+41" in the "store address" section (Settings > General).

Instead of: +41 79 *** ** **

I put: 079 *** ** **

Then hit "Save". 

Then open a Chrome incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+n) to avoid cache and cookies potential issues. 

Login to your shopify admin and proceed with the domain purchase

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tom

Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
732 39 225

Hi, @TomDool

Thank you for reaching out in this thread and sharing the solution you found. 

It's correct that the format of the phone number in the 'Settings > General' section of the Shopify admin can sometimes trigger this error to appear - especially if a dial/area code is added to this phone number. Removing the area code like you did, and then purchasing the domain through an Incognito window is a great step to take to ensure the domain purchase works correctly. 

I appreciate you sharing this information with us here, as I'm sure this will help other Community members who are also encountering this issue. 

Cheers! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
SosMagic
2 0 0

Please help me i tried to buy a domain in shopify but i am getting the same problem even i edited my store information a couple of time already.

0 Likes
SosMagic
2 0 0

I have the same problem

0 Likes
Startechpanama
1 0 0

Hi, I’m having the same problem but with the postal code

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
732 39 225

Hi, @SosMagic and @Startechpanama

Welcome to this thread. I appreciate you both reaching out about the troubles you're having with purchasing a domain. 

@SosMagic, I'm going to send you an email soon to help look into this error further, and work towards a resolution. If you still need assistance with this, please reply directly back to my email once you receive it. 

@Startechpanama, if you're receiving an error tied to the postal code on your site, this is likely due to the way the postal code is formatted. In most cases, entering in a postal code without any spaces included will solve this error. However, if you try this and you still receive the same error, please let me know which country you're based in and I can certainly help confirm the correct format to use when entering the postal code. 

I look forward to speaking with you both about this in more detail soon! 

0 Likes
csauwai
1 0 0

Hi, I am having the same problem - tried this for 20 times and still getting the same error message. Please help. It's very frustrating.

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
732 39 225

Hi, @csauwai

Thanks for reaching out about this. I understand the frustration this has caused, and I'd like to help look into this further on our end. 

I'll send you an email shortly with more information regarding this. 

Speak soon! 

0 Likes
Nooton
Tourist
3 0 0

Sorry, but this is one HELL of a shitshow.

Prohibits valid letters for cities (München / Munich) - AND UPON FIXING THOSE, STILL DOES NOT WORK.

With a Valuation this high, I am left wondering what Shopify is really focusing on - improving their business, or running from funding round to funding round.

Absolutely inexcusable and ridiculous for an enterprise of this size - let alone the fact, that a whole bunch of customers would opt to go with a competitor, given ISSUES like this, BEFORE even having setup the store.

Totally inacceptable from a customer-journey point of view.

ERROR still hasnt been fixed. This is not rocket science but merely a matter of using ICANNs API correctly and getting one of your devs to fix the formatting bugs.

0 Likes